+1

2001 ZXi 1100 cavitation or "ventilation" ??

Hey guys... been a while since I posted out here... Did some major mods to my 2001 ZXi 1100 over the winter:

• Replaced original carbs with CDKII carbs, full Keihin rebuild kits
    • Stinger mod
      (.20 carb jet in stinger with Jetworks flow control. .15 carb jet in top of exhaust where stator return went. Blocked stator off)
    • Waterbox mod
      (1" hole drilled into back of waterbox)
    • Shredmaster Ride Plate
    • R & D Intake Grate
    • Solas 13/19 SS prop
    • Dual cooling mod
      (T fitting to feed jetworks flow control)
    • Dual high-flow clear bowl italian strainers with SS screens

Ski runs awesome now, minus a bit more tuning.... but my question pertains to whether I have cavitation or not:

With both skis on the trailer at the ramp, and both running in clear water with nozzles in the water and pointed down, I can see that there's a TON of whitewater on the ZXi propulsion cone of water (even at idle), where my 2001 XP has nearly a solid stream of water with only an occasional streak of white indicating air/bubbles.

The ZXi does seem like it "slips" a bit out of the hole, when compared to my XP, then catches and she really goes. But my wonder is where all these bubbles are coming from? I assume because I do not have all the edges and seams sealed properly with silicon on the intake grate and up into the prop shoe? There didn't seem to be that many gaps or areas that would cause cavitation, if this is indeed cavitation. Just seems like the force of the prop pulling water into the intake is causing bubbles to form, thus decreasing the effectiveness of the pump and the initial "slip".... or is this a normal trait of a Kawasaki pump design? Is this cavitation or "ventilation" where it's getting air from somewhere else?

I'm just trying to understand the difference, and if there's a way to correct it to get a solid stream like the XP. I feel like the ZXi should be doing more in the hole shot department with all the mods I've been able to do, and having all the bubbles in the stream obviously reduces the force of the thrust...

As always, thanks for any insight you guys may have....

+1
    Something wrong with your pump. It should hook up immediately. Not sure what prop would be optimum for your setup. It doesn't take much of a gap in the sealant to screw up a jet pump. Check the clearance between the impeller and housing, should be less than about .025".

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Something wrong with your pump. It should hook up immediately. Not sure what prop would be optimum for your setup. It doesn't take much of a gap in the sealant to screw up a jet pump. Check the clearance between the impeller and housing, should be less than about .025".
    Thanks for the reply. I will pull the pump again and check clearances, but when I put everything back together < 2 months ago with the new Solas Concord 13/9, it was really tight.... no gaps or oblong weirdness... and the housing was smooth with no gouges or rutting.... The Kawasaki looked to have aluminum housing with no wear ring like my XP, so I guess if there is a gap or something, the whole housing has to be replaced....

Heard alot of different opinions on the "best" prop.... many said a SkatTrak swirl 13/19, but I wasn't able to locate one for this ski, so I went with the Solas Concord, which was also suggested, and I have one on my XP and LOVE it (although slightly over-propped at 15/20, but turning proper RPMs. I don't think this ZXi could handle 15/20)

As I said, it might be me, but it just seems that theres a slight slip when you punch it out of the hole with nozzle down, then grabs and she takes off... still topping out at 56 or so.... So seeing the white cone tells me there's bubbles, which equates to an inefficient thrust cone... so if I can locate the source of the turbulence/bubbles and get it more a solid column of water, it should improve holeshot and maybe even a little top end..... I was just looking to see if others had a similar issue with bubbles in the water column....

Thread Information