Putting VTS back together, then nothing. - What have I done?

Hey Everyone,

I recently came into possession of a 96 XP and a 96 GTI. The XP started up and ran fine, but the VTS on it was disconnected. I noticed that the VTS clearly had seen water inside of it, and when I inspected the boot outside, it was trash.

I took the VTS motor out, and when I tried it on a battery it was nonfunctional. After pulling it apart, cleaning it, and putting it back together, it worked!

I then reattached it. I noticed that the cable that goes from the VTS to the fuse box was disconnected. Thinking that the issue was just a seized motor, I reconnected the cable and went to try it out. When I hit the VTS switch on the handlebars, I heard a click, then nothing. I tried it one more time. Click, then nothing. Then, nothing electrical would happen (no starting, no lights coming on).

At this time, I smelled a slight electrical burning smell. Uh-oh. I tried taking the key off and putting it back on, nothing. Disconnecting, then reconnecting the battery. Nope.

I pulled the fuse box out, and noticed that the main fuse wasn't blown, and that the part where there should be a fuse for the VTS, there wasn't one.

Do you think that without the VTS fuse in place, it arc'd and fried something?

I'm not too concerned about the financial aspects, I just want it to run again! Does anyone have any idea what I just did? Thanks

Well it looks like I blew the 5 amp fuse. Does this mean the vts board is shot?

Banned User
    +1
    5A? I thought the VTS was always a 7.5 purple one?

+1
    the 5 am fuse is the main fuse. Try putting everything back the way it originally was when it ran, replace the 5 amp fuse and try it again. Let us know if it still starts and runs OR.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    5A? I thought the VTS was always a 7.5 purple one?
    7.5 is brown. 3 is light purple.

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    the 5 am fuse is the main fuse. Try putting everything back the way it originally was when it ran, replace the 5 amp fuse and try it again. Let us know if it still starts and runs OR.
    Ok, when I replaced the 5A fuse in the front and removed the VTS connection, everything worked again.

Because I was curious, I put a 7.5A fuse in the VTS fuse holder, and got the same result (blew 5A main fuse AND the 7.5A VTS fuse).

When I replaced the 5A main fuse and disconnected the VTS, everything works again.

I ordered a TrimFix and a new boot with the plastic clamps.

+1
    Well there you go. A direct short to ground on the trim module, very common.

Thread Information