+1

300x Stiff Steering

My 300x steering is very stiff. I disconnected the steering cable and that moved freely with no problems. The problem lies within the steering shaft below the handlebars. Started taking it apart but I am stuck. The service manual shows a special tool needed to loosen up the steering shaft nut. Attached are pictures of the tool and the steering shaft. Is this part necessary or is there an easier way to get this apart to lubricate the shaft. I am also thinking of putting new bushings in. 2011 with 150 hours on the ski. Thoughts?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0506141552.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	328501Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0506141549.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	328502

+1
    no special tool is needed remove the nut and locking plate clean everything add grease and all will be good again.

+1
    How do I remove the nut though. That's my problem. Everything is locked on.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Undo it with pliers

+1
    or make a tool. flat piece of steel, drill centre hole for the shaft and two smaller ones for the two bolts that fit in the holes of the nut.

+1
    Pipe wrench or multigrips its just a knurled nut

+1
    Ok thanks I will try.

+1
    So you want to hold that round steering shaft nut still as you turn the steering shaft,a pair of needle nose pliers as mentioned and homemade steel plate with holes ,but you already have the adapter so thread the two bolts use a screwdriver or something to fit in the square hole to hold it steady and a small adjustable wrench and turn shaft..
    Photo or write down each step piece by piece for reinstall..

But before did you check starting from the steering pump nozzle any obstructions all the way to steering shaft,nothing rubbing or hitting the shaft or steering cable when you go left right and back and spray the shaft area with liquid film or some other lubricant in the shaft area...We assume you did..

good of luck keep us posted..

+1
    Thanks Dave. I don't have the adapter piece. I will try it today if time permits with a pipe wrench and adjustable wrench around the shaft to see if I can loosen this up. And to answer the question about the steering cable and jet nozzle....yes that all moves freely. There is a quick disconnect under the steering column. Just pulled out the ECU and reached up under from the front. Cable and nozzle slides freely with minimal effort. Geez this forum is starting to sound dirty with all this talk about nuts, shafts, and reach arounds. Haha

10. +1 by:

you forgot "stiff"

Quote Originally Posted by KawiScott View Post
    Thanks Dave. I don't have the adapter piece. I will try it today if time permits with a pipe wrench and adjustable wrench around the shaft to see if I can loosen this up. And to answer the question about the steering cable and jet nozzle....yes that all moves freely. There is a quick disconnect under the steering column. Just pulled out the ECU and reached up under from the front. Cable and nozzle slides freely with minimal effort. Geez this forum is starting to sound dirty with all this talk about nuts, shafts, and reach arounds. Haha
    Kawi Scott....once I think I cut down a pair of really good automotive pliers since the area is so tight. Also if you ride in salt remember to stick a hose down to this area when washing as the salt loves to build up on this nut and is half the battle to break loose. don't forget to cover your gauge cluster to avoid damage.

Thread Information