Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

900 STX - No power to start button

I have a '97 900 STX and have sustained water damage inside my ignition box, and my ski won't start. I've searched and read several threads that have been very helpful, and have replaced my starter solenoid, which was definitely bad. I also replaced my voltage regulator and a blown main fuse.

I've confirmed that my battery is indeed hooked up, my starter turns strong (when I jump it), and, my solenoid is working properly (when I jump it).

However, when I push the start button, nothing happens....no click, no lights on the fuel gauge, nothing.

I've taken the start button apart, and have put a volt-meter on both of the electrical contacts, and, don't get any reading on either. Shouldn't I be getting 12V?

I don't have a wiring diagram to know where the power source should come from that leads to the starter button.

Any suggestions on next steps for de-bug are greatly appreciated!

+1
    First things first, is the orange master switch on?

By "master switch", if you're referring to the kill switch lanyard, I indeed have that inserted.

I have considered that, am wondering if there's a way to test and ensure that the stop button mechanism isn't malfunctioning. I have no idea how to test it, or how it's wired up.

I'd love to figure out more places that I can probe with the voltmeter, and, confirm I'm getting a supply voltage where I'm supposed to be.

+1
    No, there is an orange key switch that uses a magnetic key to activate the electrical system.

I'm not sure where it is located, on some models it's inside the glove box.

Name:  Key.jpg
Views: 1574
Size:  16.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    No, there is an orange key switch that uses a magnetic key to activate the electrical system.

I with it were that simple, but, there is no such orange key switch on the '97 900 STX.

Anybody know if the start/stop button get their power from, and, interact thru the CDI Igniter black box? It's the only thing I haven't replaced, and, would love to figure out how to test it's functionality.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Siouxcitysmitty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post

I with it were that simple, but, there is no such orange key switch on the '97 900 STX.

Anybody know if the start/stop button get their power from, and, interact thru the CDI Igniter black box? It's the only thing I haven't replaced, and, would love to figure out how to test it's functionality.
    You might look again. It's in the parts book.

I don't have a picture of the orange switch, but this is a pic of the key that turns it on.
    Last edited by steve45; 05-07-2014 at 02:54 PM.

Steve45,

I appreciate the guidance...and I'd really like to find the key to which you refer.

But, I've owned the ski for 4 years and never ran across it. Nevertheless, I went out to the garage, and, gave the ski a thorough once over. I also looked up the parts list in the online fiche, and, didn't see it. I checked under the parts categories of "control", "electrical", and "ignition".

Much appreciated if you can share where you saw in in '97 900 stx parts list.

(Edit) and I just looked and found it listed on the '97 1100 STX under "electrical", but, it's definitely not shown for the '97 900 STX.

So unfortunately, that suggestion's not going to bear fruit.

+1
    I'm sorry, I must have typed in the wrong year.

Time to re-think your problem.

+1
    Are you measuring the voltage across the switch contacts, or to ground? If you have 12 volts from the switch to ground, but not across the switch, then there is probably a problem in the starter relay (it may be hooked up backwards).

If no 12 volts to the switch at all, check all the plugs in the harness. Kawasaki harnesses are really bad about getting moisture in them and corroding the contacts.

I've been testing the two contacts under the starter button individually, across the voltmeter to ground, and getting zero volts.

I'm pretty sure I have the starter relay hooked up correctly, as the cover plate to the electrical box has "starter" embossed on one side, and "battery" embossed on the other, right above the relay terminals.

And, so the way it's set up, I have 12V coming in from the battery to the relay, and then, of course, 12V going out to the starter....but, on the starter terminal, there are also several other wires going to other places in the ignition box. Undoubtedly, one of these wires would be what normally lights up the fuel gauge when you turn the starter. When I jump 12V to the relay control terminal, it sends power to the starter like it should, but, the gauge doesn't light up.

I have no idea what keeps the fuel gauge lit, once the relay is no longer transferring juice to the starter (and the other wires on the starter terminal).

I'll go thru and re-check all the connectors, and, welcome any other thoughts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information