Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Whats the real reason we have to rebuild the superchargers every 100 hours?

It seems strange to me that we need to do a complete supercharger overhaul every 100 hours, is there an inherent design flaw that is responsible for this or just the hostile environment a supercharger goes through pumping damp air into an engine? I know about the washer issue, but have read a bit about an issue with the bearing cages being made of plastic?? I had an issue with a bearing cage on a ducati race bike last year that had a plastic race, plastic fell apart and ball bearings fell into the case.. changed the cage out for an identical bearing race/cage made of metal and have likely won't have any issues going forward. If there is an identical bearing/cage made of metal, would this extend the interval for supercharger rebuilding?

+1
    I'm not a mechanic but pretty sure it's due to the fact that you have a system that's rotating at 1000s more RPMs than the engine. Combine that with the constant and extreme variance of load on the system and you have a very harsh environment for the components to survive, especially the clutch.

+1
    bearings.

we change our bearings every 70hrs or so and beat the crap out of the chargers. on 215 and 255 and some have gone to 200+ hrs ok.
    i got jacked off with maintenance of big charger and went turbo but still have a 215 as surf machine

+1
    The oem bearings are very good, but they have a recommended max RPM of 17,000-- in a 215+ charger setup running the motor at 8100 rpm makes the bearings in the super charger spin at 42,000 rpm or something like that. They obviously work, but they will not last forever driving them this hard.

+1
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=210643

If somebody gets an alternative we would hear it on this forum pretty soon !!

+1
    If it was a component that when it failed it did no other damage and all you had to do was replace it then I would run it until it pukes, a starter, battery or the infamous Seadoo starter relays fall into this category. The problem with the S/C is when it does fail it takes out or can take out a lot of other expensive parts so I would rather err on the side of caution and rebuild before the failure point. I also believe the rebuild hours could be adjusted for usage if you have a big S/C wheel, ride aggressive or ride a lot of chop where the rpm is constantly on and off the limiter then a rebuild before 100hrs might be a good idea.

My 05 GTX has about 80 easy hours since a charger rebuild and I will probably put 30 to 40 hours on it this year it will get rebuilt this winter. If this was the RXP I would have done it now and not waited another season.

+1
    we found the shafts etc to be okay. i had a front bearing let go a few yrs ago on my c kit. we ride ocean and chop. oil changes @ 50hrs and new bearings + viton seal and we have had really good life out of the charger. its alot cheaper than a rebuild kit and if seadoo just went turbo, i would be first in line to get one.

+1
    change a qt of oil every 7hrs/2-3 months and the entire engine will stay happy.

+1
    Its like tranmission they usually getting worn out after 200k miles.jet ski 100 hours = 100k miles to me all stuff do need get rebuild after while of usage. Some lasted more some not.

Thanks for the good input guys, def. some things to think about, may influence my maintenance practices..

I don't fully buy the supercharger RPM theory though, I have had a few turbo charged vehicles (turbos run just as fast, if not FASTER than a supercharger and in hotter conditions) and none of them have had a charger bearing related failure.. including a 7.3L turbo diesel with over 250k on the stock turbo and a twin turbo ecoboost with 50k hard miles on it. The varying RPM would likely play a bigger role, things like constant RPM over constant accelerating/decelerating conditions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information