Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rope caught in 2008 yamaha fx ho

a friend was pulling someone on a tube and ran over the dock line. it then proceeded to get wrapped around entire shaft and into the hole that seperates the engine and the hull. i took off the intake plates and bgan to cut away the rope, the issue is the rope is braided dock line not standard pulling rope and it is inside hole. i cant seem to free the rope anymore. i started taking the ski apart and of course stripping some bolts along the way. i think i have to remove the rod to get in the hole and get to the rest of the rope. does anybody know of any videos or could give decent instructions on how to do this, or should i just take it to dealer. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gotta Pull the pump. This "rod" is also known as the driveshaft.

3. +1 by:

+1
    it's an easy work. only some bolts.. and entire pump pull out... then you will need some silicone gasket and loctite to put pump on again.

Loctite?? For what, i hope not the pump bolts. Anti seize or red grease instead. You actually
    want to be able to get them of when you need to. Also, when you have the 4 pump
    bolts off, take them to the store and get the stainless variant. Simply torque to specs and youre good to go.

6. +1 by:

+1
    If you already stripped "SOME" bolts meaning more then 1 I would recommend you bring it to the dealer

Quote Originally Posted by bscpaint View Post
    If you already stripped "SOME" bolts meaning more then 1 I would recommend you bring it to the dealer

yup...most definately...if ya think that rope is givin ya a hard time just wait til ya start messin with stripped and/or broken bolts....good luck...it is fixable

Hell no!!!! if you are breaking bolts, that means you MIGHT be being too rough on them. Sometimes its inevitable. Dont go telling him to bring it to a stealership only for them to start racking up the 'corrosion' charges because yami made the shitty decision to use galvanized steel bolts on everything..Anti seize turns to a powder and is really had to loosen bolts with over time, which is why i like to use red synthetic bearing grease on bolts below the waterline...break them all off if you absolutely have too. What do you think the dealership is going to do? You'll be able to soak the peice in penetrating fluid, heat with a torch and use a pair of vice grips once you have the ride plate, pump housing, intake grate or whatever else you are breaking bolts on.

Post photos and ask any questions. We've all been here 100000000x's and if we brought our skis to the dealership at the first sign of trouble, none of us would learn a thing. If you came on here to ask a question, that means you are already headed in the right direction. Dont loose sight now, and let us know what happens.

Pulling a pump is really a simple fix, Ive done it the water before. Pulled a pump that is...7 miles off shore at the reef moored off to a ball. Still took about 25 minuets.

+1
    Interesting, all the bolts on mine are stainless, not galvanized.

+1
    Do you live by the water ? If so I would leave the ski on the water for the day and it may loosen up. Once a friend caught a tube rope and we tried everything and we couldn't get it out so we left the ski docked to go get some lunch (2-3 hours) when we got back it was a piece of cake.

Quote Originally Posted by DonHy View Post
    Do you live by the water ? If so I would leave the ski on the water for the day and it may loosen up. Once a friend caught a tube rope and we tried everything and we couldn't get it out so we left the ski docked to go get some lunch (2-3 hours) when we got back it was a piece of cake.
    I live on the water but the rope Is well past leaving it in the water I need to pull the driveshaft out so I can see in the hole. He rope was also braided dock line so not as easy as the regular tow rope stuff.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information