Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

MSX use parts from 2001 Virage TXi

I have a chance to get a MSX 140 red/gray with black bottom. It has a hole through one of the pistons.

My options are to try to fix it (parts may be hard as hell to find) or take a motor out of a 2001 TXi that needs a new real main seal and just put that one in the MSX after I replace the seal.

I think they are diffrent brain boxes but if it a matter of changing the FI and the brain box it may be worth it to be in a newer model. Thoughts?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I would start by investigating the cause of the MSX 140 engine failure.

Check for low fuel pressure, often caused by a fuel pressure regulator that has fallen out. Which piston failed, PTO?

The MSX 140 has a different exhaust pipe and exhaust manifold configuration, and different cylinder porting. Putting the Virage TXi engine in the MSX hull means mixing and matching exhaust, cylinder porting and EMM fuel mappings.

If you can, fixing the MSX 140 engine (and the underlying failure cause) is the most straightforward path since you will end up with a known engine configuration for that hull.

Banned User
    +1
    MSX cylinders and pistons are still available new through Polaris. You can also have damaged cylinders replated and repaired for around 200 bucks a piece. Engine parts are easy to get.

+1
    Here is a pic of the bad "front piston" By looking at this what all do you think needs to be done. I don't have a pic of the head but do they get messed up also when this happens? Do the clinder walls need to be slived typicialy. With out labor what is the range for a repair like this? The price of the ski is $400 is that a deal if this is all that is wrong or about right? Can the job be done with the motor still in the ski? IS it best to take it all apart to make sure there are no metal shavings or damage?
    ThxClick image for larger version. 

Name:	front head.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	113.1 KB 
ID:	328682
    Last edited by macdoo; 05-08-2014 at 10:29 AM.

+1
    Personally I would be taking the bottom end apart to at least clean out any metal debris. And check the bearings at the same time.

Fresh crank seals front and rear would not be a bad idea.

Re-Nikasil of the cylinder is circa $200, don't recall exactly what I paid last time.

Cylinder head would need inspection. Hopefully the tip of the fuel injector was not damaged by the piston debris.

Fresh spark plugs, of course. NGK PZFR6H only.

$400 still sounds like a good deal. If it was near me it would be in my driveway already!

+1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MSX.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	116.9 KB 
ID:	328862

Pick up the 2003 MSX on Friday. Wow it is a pice of work Polaris seemed to have all ther ducks in a row. Now I need to get it running.

It has 200 hr and as the above pic shows the #1 piston has a hole in it. I called the local Polaris dealer and they said there was only the Std piston no over size in stock. I guess I need to have some mesurments taken so I know what size I need. One local tech he would replace all the pistons at one time but I want to get it running for this season then maybe during the winter do more.

What would have made the #1 piston go bad could it have had a bad main front seal go bad? The fuel injector go bad or as K447 stated the fuel pressure regulator that has fallen out.

Could the oil they used make it purn a hole through the piston?
    I thought I would replace the oil but what would be a good one to use that I can find around Atlanta?

Any help for parts and tips would be helpful
    Last edited by K447; 05-10-2014 at 10:18 AM.

+1
    200 hours is getting up there. My MSX 140 seized a crank bearing at 180 hours.

And you have potential metal debris in the bottom end from that piston failure.

If it was me I would be doing a proper rebuild on the engine. Including a crank rebuild.

The MSX 140 uses Nikasil plated cylinders, not rim sleeves. The preferred method (my opinion) is to have the cylinders re-plated to factory spec. This is why there are no OEM oversize pistons, the expectation is that the cylinders will be restored to OEM spec.

You can use OEM pistons or aftermarket. There is a snowmobile piston that is a direct match. Somewhere I think I documented this when I did my own MSX 140 engine rebuild.

The fuel pressure regulator is a known weakness. Even if it has not yet fallen out, I suggest you should still pull the fuel pump and reinforce the internal retainer.

+1
    It looks like some time and money but I got it for a deal…..right After looking at it I stll thing a Txi swap till the motor gets fixed the right way seem like a option. The EEM seems right there to get but then it i right there to get water on too. From the exhust being way diffrent could I not just put that on the Txi or are the ports so diffrent it does not fit?
    Where is a good place to do the plating I need? What is infolved in a rebuilt crank?

Oh and whats hp with the rev lraver I pulled it up and it does not want to go down. Do I need to hook a battery up to it?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by macdoo View Post
    It looks like some time and money but I got it for a deal…..right After looking at it I stll thing a Txi swap till the motor gets fixed the right way seem like a option. The EEM seems right there to get but then it i right there to get water on too. From the exhust being way diffrent could I not just put that on the Txi or are the ports so diffrent it does not fit?
    Where is a good place to do the plating I need? What is infolved in a rebuilt crank?

Oh and whats hp with the rev lraver I pulled it up and it does not want to go down. Do I need to hook a battery up to it?
    Which, 2001 Virage reverse or MSX 140 reverse stuck?

+1
    2003 MSX

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information