Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2000 1200r Remove filter/screen in the carb?????

Brother in law has a 2000 1200r. Had problems with it bogging so we inspected the little fuel filter in the carb and found it totally clogged up. Cleaned it out and the ski ran great. Next season same story. Inspected it and found it gummed up. I think a combo of ethanol and particles in the fuel just keeps clogging it.
    Now we're faces with doing it a third time and it's getting really old.
    Question- can I just take it out and do away with it all together?
    It has an inline fuel filter right? Would it have any detrimental effect besides the obvious not catching the tiny particulate?

if it as to stay in, what if we just cut out the mesh material and left the black
    plastic.

Im certain others have done this or thought about it before but can't seem to find it when searching.

Help
    please. Thanks in advance!

+1
    Well, if all that stuff it is catching goes on into the needle and seat, jets, and tiny orifices in the carb, what do you think you will have happen then? Better clean the fuel tank, lines, main filter and start over.
    Oh yeah, and think about buying your fuel somewhere else!

+1
    just get a 1300 gpr... problem solved. down south we dont have this issue much because we run our 1200 regularly so fuel doesnt have time to gunk up. but if you let the ski sit for 3 months, forget about it.

Quote Originally Posted by LT1GMC View Post
    Well, if all that stuff it is catching goes on into the needle and seat, jets, and tiny orifices in the carb, what do you think you will have happen then? Better clean the fuel tank, lines, main filter and start over.
    I understand what you are saying but many a carb'd vehicle (jet skis, quads, snow mobiles) don't have this little screen to my knowledge and they seem to do just fine without it. The particles must be small enough to pass thru without harming anything. It's only when they get caught in the screen and collect over a season that it causes a problem. Any big particles will get caught in the primary fuel filter. I do agree that if they don't get hung up in the filter they are likely to get hung up somewhere else in the carb but after a while any carb is going to need cleaned and possibly rebuilt anyway.

Has anyone added another in-line fuel filter after the primary fuel filter? Thinking about one with a finer screen that is easier to access and clean? Don't want to create too much resistance in the line though.

Thoughts?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LT1GMC View Post
    I understand what you are saying but many a carb'd vehicle (jet skis, quads, snow mobiles) don't have this little screen to my knowledge and they seem to do just fine without it. The particles must be small enough to pass thru without harming anything. It's only when they get caught in the screen and collect over a season that it causes a problem. Any big particles will get caught in the primary fuel filter. I do agree that if they don't get hung up in the filter they are likely to get hung up somewhere else in the carb but after a while any carb is going to need cleaned and possibly rebuilt anyway.

Has anyone added another in-line fuel filter after the primary fuel filter? Thinking about one with a finer screen that is easier to access and clean? Don't want to create too much resistance in the line though.

Thoughts?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	strainers.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	328696

this is a picture of strainers off a GP1200R that i rebuilt a month ago. this is after the ski has been sitting for 4 months with pump gas.... ran great on a hose, and died under pump load. over past 4 years pump gas became horrible, and carb rebuilds dont last as long as they used to. You tell me would you like this garbage running through your needles? and possibly clogging ports?
    i rather replace strainers and clean them then buy 700 dollar sets of mikuni's but thats just me.

Yes today's fuel is horrible. Yes the strainers get clogged. Yes they do a good job protecting the carbs. Let's get off that and move on here...

Back to my question:
    Has anyone added another in-line fuel filter after the primary fuel filter? Thinking about one with a finer screen that is easier to access and clean?

I'm thinking this one would be perfect. Looks exactly like the screen that in the carbs anyway. http://www.atlanticjetsport.com/inde...t_detail&p=829

Put it in the line to make an hour job a 2min job.

thoughts?

+1
    you have to understand, this is not debris that clogs your strainers... its actual FUEL
    you can ad 10 more inline filters, followed by a brita filter its wont change the fuel. this is actual fuel that causes the clogging. not crap from fuel. you can go ahead and do it, no one will stop you but nothing will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by bystrov View Post
    you have to understand, this is not debris that clogs your strainers... its actual FUEL
    you can ad 10 more inline filters, followed by a brita filter its wont change the fuel. this is actual fuel that causes the clogging. not crap from fuel. you can go ahead and do it, no one will stop you but nothing will happen.
    I guess I'm not understanding. Ski runs great til the filter is clogged by debris. Not gummed up, debris. If I add a filter to catch the debris (or fuel) before it reaches the carb it can only help. Also I'll add a PUR filter per your suggestion. I was never a Brita fan... It's all marketing hype

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bystrov View Post
    I guess I'm not understanding. Ski runs great til the filter is clogged by debris. Not gummed up, debris. If I add a filter to catch the debris (or fuel) before it reaches the carb it can only help. Also I'll add a PUR filter per your suggestion. I was never a Brita fan... It's all marketing hype
    i loled. But u have like 2 other filters on the ski. one is at the front of the ski by the hood hinge and the second one is on the actual baffle. those 2 do a good job cleaning.

+1
    I would try a different brand gas and start running some marine fuel stabilizer. I normally go several years without having to touch the carbs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information