Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

NEWBIE.. first post....wow lots of great info here.. i'm looking for my first PWC

HI ALL,

Just thought i'd say hello. Been lurking here for a few weeks now and learning a ton. i have owned a few boats in the past and I am now going to look into purchasing my first PWC. I have been on resort rentals over the years and buzzed around on a few buddies machines. It's time to buy my own.

I have been reading a ton and getting closer to make a decision but HELL I'M CONFUSED.. It's like having a sore arm and searching Dr. Google for what's wrong. By the end of your search, you find out your dog is sick, your cat is dying, your body is ready to fall apart and start making your own furneral arrangement.....lmao.

anyway...

I'm 48 yrs old and a big guy... 6'3" 270lbs so I'm looking for a big ski.... 3 seater for sure.

I started looking at seadoo's BUT the stuff on the supercharged 215's & 255/260's does nothing but make me angry now... Being a snowmobiler for 30 years, I know alot about Ski Doo/ Bombardier track record for motors. HOWEVER, I do LOVE the idea of suspension... and big selling point for me.

I own a Yamaha Roadliner 1900cc motorcycle and absolutely love it. Been riding motorcycles for 30 years and this bike is my absolute favorite over every Honda, Suzuki, Harley that I have owned... Yamaha wins hands down...SOOOOO....

I start thinking Waverunner.. I read here that the majority of Waverunner owners are satisfied with their supercharged models. However, I do read about some clutch issue but it seems to be a small number in comparison to the BOMBardier stuff I'm reading..... seriously... rebuild every 100hrs... I called the Seadoo dealer here in Canada... they said about $1000 to rebuild it.....I nearly shit my pants...... are they for real???

ANYWAY.. I will keep reading here and thanks for the good info and forum..

I think I'm going to start looking deeper into Yamaha????

Are they good for big boys like me????

cheers

+1
    Welcome to The Hulk Mark. The Yamahas are excellent for big guys. How much speed are you looking for? The sky's the limit for the supercharged skis 75-85+ mph, but it'll cost you some. If you're not looking for quite that much performance, The FX & VXR/s naturally aspirated skis can get you to around 65 & 70+ mph for not much money. Good luck !!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Rooster View Post
    Welcome to The Hulk Mark. The Yamahas are excellent for big guys. How much speed are you looking for? The sky's the limit for the supercharged skis 75-85+ mph, but it'll cost you some. If you're not looking for quite that much performance, The FX & VXR/s naturally aspirated skis can get you to around 65 & 70+ mph for not much money. Good luck !!!
    Thanks Rooster.... from what I'm learning, the VX is an 1100.... I am a motor head and love speed ... ex moto cross guy at one time too but this body doesn't like that radical stuff anymore..lol

A ski that is RELIABLE and does 60-70mph is just fine with me.... I like comfort too.

i seem to be swaying to the FX cruiser???

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by csrMark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rooster View Post
    Thanks Rooster.... from what I'm learning, the VX is an 1100.... I am a motor head and love speed ... ex moto cross guy at one time too but this body doesn't like that radical stuff anymore..lol

A ski that is RELIABLE and does 60-70mph is just fine with me.... I like comfort too.

i seem to be swaying to the FX cruiser???
    The VXR/S uses the big 1813cc motor, as does the FX.

+1
    I don't think the whole suspension deal is as good as you're thinking it is. My suggestions are a RXt-x or kawasaki 300x. Both good 3 seaters that are a blast to ride. The 300x has a maintenance free supercharger and no clutch to worry about. It depends on what kind of water you ride in, too. If you are going to be riding in rough water the kawi 300x is what you want. Best holeshot you can get from a stock ski and is much better than the competition in rough waters. Has a strong sturdy hull that is nearly bulletproof. Yamaha's are good for mod potential and reliable engines. They are good for flat water but not near as good in the rough stuff as the 300x.

So... If you want a fast, nimble ski that carves turns good, get the t-x.
    If you want a reliable flat water ski that is fairly simple to get to 80 mph, get the Yamaha fzs of FX.
    If you want a ski with a crazy fast 0-60, a strong hull that is great for rough water and/or smooth, and a maintenance free sc, go for the 300.

Also, if you are a bigger guy, I don't think the SD's come with reboarding steps on them but the kawis and yamaha's do.

Oh yeah... WELCOME TO THE HULK!

6. +1 by:

I would mainly be riding inland... small to medium lakes and the great lakes in Ontario such as Lake Ontario ... NO OCEAN stuff

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I would mainly be riding inland... small to medium lakes and the great lakes in Ontario such as Lake Ontario ... NO OCEAN stuff
    Welcome

Where are you located?

We often ride Lake Ontario and other places from cottage country to the thousand islands.

Focus on the hull/bottom design/model if you want to ride semi-comfortably in typical Lake Ontario and the other bigger lake water conditions. You can tweak engines for more power but you cannot change the basic hull shape which directly affects how the hull rides.

If you want the ability to ride in big water choose a hull that rides well in rough water conditions. It will still ride well in smooth water, of course. The 'smooth water mainly' hulls tend to provide faster top speed on smooth water while the rough water hulls tend to be better/faster on rough water, and less rider abusive while doing so.

If Lake Ontario is anything like Lake Erie, look into the yamaha fx ho. Especially since you are not looking to ride at fast speeds, and there is no super charger to worry about and a nice hull for those rough water rides!

[QUOTE=K447;2371654]

Where are you located?

We often ride Lake Ontario and other places from cottage country to the thousand islands.

Focus on the hull/bottom design/model if you want to ride semi-comfortably in typical Lake Ontario and the other bigger lake water conditions. You can tweak engines for more power but you cannot change the basic hull shape which directly affects how the hull rides.

If you want the ability to ride in big water choose a hull that rides well in rough water conditions. It will still ride well in smooth water, of course. The 'smooth water mainly' hulls tend to provide faster top speed on smooth water while the rough water hulls tend to be better/faster on rough water, and less rider abusive while doing so.
    Mostly riding Georgian Bay... Wasaga to Midland, Port Severn, etc..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DH300 View Post
    The 300x has a maintenance free supercharger and no clutch to worry about.
    The 300X has a supercharger that has to be FOGGED AFTER EVERY RIDE.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information