Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Carb rebuild help

So this is the second time I rebuild my carbs from a yamaha suv. The first time was just after I purchased it 4 years ago and over the winter I went through the motor and pump. So I figured I should just rebuild the carbs and replace needles and seats too. However last time I rebuilt the carbs I simply copied (replaced) the all the internals that were already in there. This time I'm looking at the diagram and I'm a bit confused, specifically with the pump cover gaskets. When I first did the rebuild I only used one of the pump gaskets because that's how it was (item 1 on diagram) is this correct? I think I have the latter BN 44 but I'm not sure. I do know that I have the pump body assembly that uses the oring. Maybe that's why I do not need the the second pump cover gasket??? Anyone know?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	328663   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	43 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	328662   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	38 
Size:	104.2 KB 
ID:	328664   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	36 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	328665  

+1
    The extra paper gasket was used on the early carbs if I remember right. The pump diaphragm on your carb goes directly on the o-ring.

Thanks. That is what I kinda what I was thinking from the diagrams. Just wasn't sure.

How do I tell if my bn 44 carbs are "early" or "late". They are from a 2001 suv if that helps

+1
    Yes the O ring replaces that gasket. If you didn't have the O ring you would use the gasket.

Great, thank you.

And I know it's been discussed a lot but just to be sure!! I live on the coast of North Carolina. 2001 Yamaha SUV. Stock engine, rebuilt by Brian at Champion Powersports in Charlotte North Carolina. The kit from Mikuni came with a brass spring and a Bright Silver Spring. My question is which spring should I use and what should i set the pop off at? Seen alot of charts for pop off settings but being very cautious as I don't want to damage the newly rebuilt engine.

According to the chart in picture my pop off should be set at 38 - 42 PSI. I assume you use whichever spring helps get to that setting. In other picture it says to clip spring to increase or decrease pop off. That doesn't sound very professional to me haha any suggestions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information