Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help! My 2007 Yamaha VX1100 BF just sunk

I own a 2007 Yamaha VX1100 BF. My friend put it in the water for me on Sunday since I was out of town. I got here today and it was partially submerged. The engine was completely covered by water. It may have been a plug. I got it out of the water, drained it, and never tried to crank it or start it.

Will it still work? Or will it require a new engine? And what can they do repair it? How likely for it to work? Or am I sh*t out of luck? Thanks in advance, Michael

+1
    salt or fresh ??? first thing to do is get it out and wash out and wash off everything you can if it was salt, check the oil level, if it has water in it, suck all the oil out, pull the plugs and pump any and all water out of the cylinders by cranking it with the plugs out, refill with fresh oil and start it ASAP !!!! dont run it too long on the trailer without it being cooled off, and as soon as its running well ride the shit out of it, you might need to change the oil a few times so feel free to use cheap 15-40 to flush out the system DO NOT TRY TO CRANK IT WITH THE PLUGS IN IT, YOU CAN BEND OR BREAK A CONNECTING ROD

3. +1 by:

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Check the air intake and make sure there isnt water in there after that pull the spark plugs and crank the motor over to make sure there is no water in the cylinders before you drain the oil.....If theres water in the cylinders and in the the oil do a couple of oil changes with a quick run on the hose to get the fresh oil going through the motor to remove any water....may take several oil changes, use cheap oil for the first couple changes....All this needs to be done NOW.....

Thanks, John. It was fresh water. How do I crank the jetski without the spark plugs? Jump it? Really appreciate your input. Michael

+1
    just like you would if you were trying to start it, crank it over with the plugs out to blow any water than may be in the cylinders

+1
    Make sure you ground the spark plugs while you're cranking it over to get the water out. Last thing you need is a fried ECU on top of the water in the cylinders. I think I'd run some seafoam in the gas for a while too.

Thanks for everybody's help. Because I did not have tools, I went ahead and took it into the shop. Lots of good news. 1. No water had gotten into the oil (If you do any research on the Internet, if your boat sinks, you can count on water in the oil and having to pay for 5-6 oil changes. My engine was underwater for three days. Even the mechanic couldn't believe it). 2. There was a little water around the spark plugs but not much. They got it out, and engine cranked fine. 3. I thought a crack or broken seal in the back of the jetski caused the sink. They tested for a leak and said it was the loose plug. 4. When I went to go check on it, the nice lady at the front desk told me that they still had to work on it, there was probably water in the gas. Then I told her I had already talked to the mechanic over the phone. She went in the back, came back out, and said "Congrats. You are correct. And your bill is $95." (I was expecting at least $500).

So lots of good news. I will put Waverunner in the water tomorrow to see how it runs on the lake. Anything I should be looking outside of the ordinary.

Thanks again for everybody's help.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelSC View Post
    Thanks for everybody's help. Because I did not have tools, I went ahead and took it into the shop. Lots of good news. 1. No water had gotten into the oil (If you do any research on the Internet, if your boat sinks, you can count on water in the oil and having to pay for 5-6 oil changes. My engine was underwater for three days. Even the mechanic couldn't believe it). 2. There was a little water around the spark plugs but not much. They got it out, and engine cranked fine. 3. I thought a crack or broken seal in the back of the jetski caused the sink. They tested for a leak and said it was the loose plug. 4. When I went to go check on it, the nice lady at the front desk told me that they still had to work on it, there was probably water in the gas. Then I told her I had already talked to the mechanic over the phone. She went in the back, came back out, and said "Congrats. You are correct. And your bill is $95." (I was expecting at least $500).

So lots of good news. I will put Waverunner in the water tomorrow to see how it runs on the lake. Anything I should be looking outside of the ordinary.

Thanks again for everybody's help.
    Great news, consider yourself lucky! Could have been a lot worse!

+1
    Wow. Cheap bill and a fixed ski.

I forgot to put this: According to the mechanic, the No. 1 thing I did to avoid major problems with an boat engine that had been submerged for three days was ... I didn't try to crank it. He said that's what most people make the mistake of doing, trying to crank it as soon as the water is drained. But you've got to make sure water is first out of oil/spark plugs, etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information