Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs up New 2014 FZS Owner - Proper Break In?

Just like the title states. What do you pros out there recommend for proper break in of my 2014 FZS? I've owned a 2008 SHO previously. I'm aware of not going full throttle, varying RPM's, not going to redline etc etc etc.

What I want to know is how long should I wait before I go balls out? Dealer is recommending 10 hours, but I feel like that's too long. Or at least I don't want to wait that long LOL. I feel like the rings should be set and sealed well before then.

Newbie here, my FZS is getting uncrated right now, so I'm also curious about this.

Also, THANK YOU GREENHULK! The knowledge here is extremely helpful! I walked in knowing more about these things than the dealers did.

+1
    The way I have broken in my new engines has been pretty simple.

Warm the ski up by idling around varying the throttle a little between idle and 5000 rpm for about 10 minutes making sure everything is lubed well and nothing has bound up. Never keeping same throttle.
    Then from maybe about 2,000 rpm nail it to WOT for about 2 seconds. Ride around varying the throttle a little between idle and 5000 rpm for about 5 minutes.
    Then from maybe about 2,000 rpm nail it to WOT for about 2 seconds. Ride around varying the throttle a little between idle and 5000 rpm for about 5 minutes.
    Shut the ski off and let the ski cool down for about 30 minutes.

Do the above process a total of 2 - 3 times. After the last cool down go ride and have fun!

The purpose of the hard acceleration is to seat the rings in good. If you dont seat the rings in good during the initial break in they will never seat. People buy skis or build new motors and baby it during the break in and thats the worst thing.

I did this with my skis and they have lasted a long time. I was actually racing Jim and Leo the first day out with my SeaDoo RXT and it was running for ever.

+1
    Your new ski came with an operator's manual, just follow that for break in procedure and you'll be fine. Congrats on the new FZS!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    Your new ski came with an operator's manual, just follow that for break in procedure and you'll be fine. Congrats on the new FZS!
    Good point. I personally dont agree with their suggestion, but that's my opinion. Page 58.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/s...7_FZR_1645.pdf

Couple of other threads.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=97381

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=210515
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	328777  

Quote Originally Posted by Gus13letter View Post
    The way I have broken in my new engines has been pretty simple.

Warm the ski up by idling around varying the throttle a little between idle and 5000 rpm for about 10 minutes making sure everything is lubed well and nothing has bound up. Never keeping same throttle.
    Shut the ski off and let the ski cool down for about 30 minutes.

Do the above process a total of 2 - 3 times. After the last cool down go ride and have fun!

The purpose of the hard acceleration is to seat the rings in good. If you dont seat the rings in good during the initial break in they will never seat. People buy skis or build new motors and baby it during the break in and thats the worst thing.

I did this with my skis and they have lasted a long time. I was actually racing Jim and Leo the first day out with my SeaDoo RXT and it was running for ever.
    This is typically what I usually do to break in anything. I may not do it the exact way you do it, but I do vary RPM's and put it through heat cycles. Thanks for the info. I'll just do this for 2-3 hours and then have some fun.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus13letter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    Good point. I personally dont agree with their suggestion, but that's my opinion. Page 58.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/s...7_FZR_1645.pdf
    That's for a 2009, for some reason I'm thinking I saw the other day where the manual for 2014 models indicated break-in has changed a little, but I'm not sure so don't quote me on it. Might have been talking about the SVHO.

+1
    It has changed, at least for the 2014 fzs

First 5 minutes under 2000rpm then 90 minutes under 5000rpm.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtlhunter View Post

Yes is true for FZS & R (SVHO) 2014, but the recommendation is keep low speed (less of 5000 RPM) until 10 hrs and then change the oil and filter for a looooong engine life. Remember flush the engine after each use.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by superdavid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtlhunter View Post

Yes is true for FZS & R (SVHO) 2014, but the recommendation is keep low speed (less of 5000 RPM) until 10 hrs and then change the oil and filter for a looooong engine life. Remember flush the engine after each use.

Just to clarify, are you saying the manual states stay under 5000rpm for ten hours or is that your recommendation? If your saying the manual recommends this then mine states otherwise.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	328782  

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information