Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Carrying 22 gallons of extra fuel in 2013 RXP-X...good idea or bad idea - see pics

Hey guys im looking at doing some distance riding and im trying to carry more fuel.
    I was playing around with the various locations i can fit my gas cans, and i can physically fit 22 extra gallons.
    2 x 5gallons ratchet strapped to back of seadoo between rear tow point and the rear tie down locations.
    and 12 gallons in the front hatch, after removing the grey plastic shields.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140509_135735_resized.jpg 
Views:	1598 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	328860Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140509_135739_resized.jpg 
Views:	360 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	328861

They would be bungee strapped down and have tight sealing gas cap lids on them. I may just carry the 2 x 5 gallons cans and not the 2x1gallon cans and just have 20gallons of fuel as that is plenty anyway.

I know storing fuel in the bilge is normally not recommended due to fumes escaping, etc.

However
    1) the modern gas cap lids are very tight, my gas cans swell up if left out in the heat because they arnt releasing the gas fumes
    2) the engine if left running is constantly sucking air out of the bilge and replacing it with fresh air. these cans wouldnt be left inside the bilge for any length of time, they would just be there during the time the engine was running, thus possible fume buildup would not be an issue.

thoughts?

ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    +1
    The two on the back of ski are alright; many do it that way.

The cans in the front storage are inviting problems, IMO
    ...but then I'm just an ole 'worry wort' any who...

+1
    Wow. Can you burn the that much fuel in a day?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by raceneked View Post

+1

not about fuel fumes, but fuel leakage. If one of those fuel containers inside the front storage area develops a crack or leak then you will have liquid gasoline inside the hull. That is very bad. And you might not know until ...

The hull can produce a lot of pounding and shaking as you ride, even on moderate waves. For me, this is an example of perhaps low likelihood, but huge potential downside if the bad thing happens.

Heck, even if a tank starts leaking, how would you fully mop out a gallon or two of liquid fuel from inside the hull? When you are halfway along your journey? Gas can take a long time to fully evaporate and disparate the fumes.

There have been multiple threads showing how others have assembled fuel racks for the back of the watercraft. Have a look at what others have done.

Do not be constrained by the size and shape of your existing fuel containers. Buy new containers if the result is a better system. Choose a solution that will work well, is safe, and can handle the abuse of riding.

A couple of systems even have a method of transferring fuel into the main fuel tanks while riding.

+1
    bad idea IMO.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

+1

not about fuel fumes, but fuel leakage. If one of those fuel containers inside the front storage area develops a crack or leak then you will have liquid gasoline inside the hull. That is very bad. And you might not know until ...

The hull can produce a lot of pounding and shaking as you ride, even on moderate waves. For me, this is an example of perhaps low likelihood, but huge potential downside if the bad thing happens.

Heck, even if a tank starts leaking, how would you fully mop out a gallon or two of liquid fuel from inside the hull? When you are halfway along your journey? Gas can take a long time to fully evaporate and disparate the fumes.

There have been multiple threads showing how others have assembled fuel racks for the back of the watercraft. Have a look at what others have done.

Do not be constrained by the size and shape of your existing fuel containers. Buy new containers if the result is a better system. Choose a solution that will work well, is safe, and can handle the abuse of riding.

A couple of systems even have a method of transferring fuel into the main fuel tanks while riding.

Hey yeah i thought of that and i agree. In practice i would only need one 5gallon can up front. i would also have a mat/carpet to sit the can on, and it would be bungee strapped down. Its also the first can i will refill from, so it will only be full of gas for about an hour or less....under this scenario i think it would be ok. and the idea was that this would be a only once in a while thing, not a daily thing.
    the auto bilge would suck out any split gas automatically, not that that is a good scenario though either!

thanks for the input, i will try to find another solution, just hated to spend all that time and $$ for something i will only need like once a year

+1
    Well...if you have to ask...lol. It seems you already know it's not the best idea and are hoping to get some validating replies from others. It could work 99 times out of 100...but it's only that one time that matters. It would be much better to rig the cans outside the ski.

Here's an examples of a possible option.

Link

And then there's always the ratchet strap option:

I know it's a cooler he has strapped up but the concept would be the same for gas cans I'm sure.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Makesumwake View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

+1

Hey yeah i thought of that and i agree. In practice i would only need one 5gallon can up front. i would also I have a mat/carpet i would sit the can on, and it would be bungee strapped down. Its also the first can i will refill from, so it will only be full of gas for about an hour or less....under this scenario i think it would be ok. and the idea was that this would be a only once in a while thing, not a daily thing.
    the auto bilge would suck out any split gas automatically, not that that is a good scenario though either!

thanks for the input!
    If you are going through with this plan...could you stuff something like a small blanket or something, maybe even a plastic liner of some sorts to help absorb or contain any gas if a leak does happen? At least keep it from running into the bilge and stuff?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

thanks for the input, i will try to find another solution, just hated to spend all that time and $$ for something i will only need like once a year
    The bilge pump would not pump out all the spilled gasoline, should that occur.

Bilge pumps always leave some behind, they do not scavenge the last 1/2" or more below the pump.

If you have liquid gasoline inside the hull you will also have major gasoline fume density in the enclosed air volume.

It only takes one spark, from anything. Loose battery cable or engine ground, crappy electrical connection anywhere else.

Engine backfire? ... Is your flame arrestor fully functional?

Think of the money expenditure as buying peace of mind. Knowing your auxiliary fuel system is safe, reliable and not going to cause grief is worth something.

ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    +1
    Hey yeah i thought of that and i agree. In practice i would only need one 5gallon can up front. i would also have a mat/carpet to sit the can on, and it would be bungee strapped down. Its also the first can i will refill from, so it will only be full of gas for about an hour or less....under this scenario i think it would be ok. and the idea was that this would be a only once in a while thing, not a daily thing.

Just a lil more food for thlought; not that it hasn't been implied here already.

Fumes (from the 'empty' can) are more dangerous than the 'full' can, in many ways.

Buying 5 gallons of fuel at the marina for 5$/gallon is a whole helluva lot cheaper than a new ski and whatever bills you may incure when the f'n thing goes B-O-O-M!
    ...thats the bottom line.

You may get away with it many, many, many times - but it only takes once - whenever that decides to happen.

Have a safe trip.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information