2000 Polaris Genesis FFI rebuild

So I picked up a genesis for 100 bucks knowing the engine was blown. Rebuilt the motor everything went smooth couldn't get it to start til i realized the plug wires were all wrong. Fixed those..side note the metal bracket on the 2000 genesis that the coil packs mounts to tells you which pack to which cylinder hehe. Fired right up!!

After it fired up shot right up to 6k rpm I instantly killed it. I know the tps sensor on this things can do weird things. So i unplug the tps and it fires up idles at 1000 rpm according to gauge. Plug back up rpms shot right back up.

Next I unbolted the tps from the throttle bodies and fire the motor up and it idles fine..I can push the tps with my hand and it increase and decrease rpms as it should except bog because i am not opening the throttle bodies at same time. I know the bog is from that cause I can push the throttle at same time bog goes away.

My question is this is there away to re-calibrate the tps without the podiag or can i bend the metal piece that engages the tps a little to fix the problem. Any words of advice would be great.

I only have 600 dollars in the ski so far and the skis is in great shape.
    Last edited by K447; 05-12-2014 at 08:04 PM.

+1
    was the tps installed with the spring in the proper spot and correctly on the throttle shaft

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

What year is this Genesis?
    Last edited by K447; 05-12-2014 at 07:53 PM.

It is a 2000 as for the spring I have a non pigtail which the spring is internal I believe....and the spring on the throttle bodies was never removed so I guess it is like it should be

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger_kill View Post
    It is a 2000

as for the spring I have a non pigtail which the spring is internal I believe....and the spring on the throttle bodies was never removed so I guess it is like it should be
    Ok then.

First note: The old non-pigtail type TPS can be replaced with a new pigtail style TPS by removing the hardware bits on the end of the throttle body shaft. This retrofit is not quite perfect but it seems workable. This allows you to purchase the most recent version of the updated TPS which should be most reliable going forward.

There are some non-Polaris alternate sources for the non-pigtail TPS, and I have made some notes regarding their use in the Ficht section from my signature links.

The old style non-pigtail throttle bodies have a metal tang on the end of the throttle shaft that in turn moves the TPS arm. Sometimes that metal tang gets bent out of shape, which of course can affect correct operation of the TPS. Do not change the angle of this piece unless you are sure you can correctly adjust it. Even a few degrees incorrect angle can mess up the TPS signals to the EMM.

Also, on the end of the TPS arm itself there should be a small round plastic nub. This nub is critical for the TPS to provide the correct idle and throttle signal to the EMM.

Be aware that the older TPS (that is, any original factory installed) tend to go bad just from age, moisture exposure, engine heat and vibration.

Vibration is actually an important factor. When the TPS is bolted to the engine it receives a continuous shaking, which does not happen when it is in your hand. A TPS can seem good when bench testing, yet when bolted to the engine the electrical signal from the TPS becomes erratic and confuses the EMM.

Thread Information