R12X FI code 25, knock sensor location?

I took my skis from 4-5 months in storage and tested them out for about 30 minutes in a canal with no chop, rode them hard and they both worked fine. Today i took out one of the r12x's to the open ocean and the minute i got out of the no wake zone and hit over 3k rpm it threw FI code 25 (i was baffled as to why it worked fine the week before). I had bought the knock sensor before i took a break but never replaced it because i couldn't find where it was located on the motor. I want to switch it out now seeing as i already have the replacement and that's the code its throwing. I have the service manual and have looked but i am still a bit lost and can't find it.

so the big question is, where is the knock sensor located?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Currituck, North Carolina, United States
    Under gray sub air box on intake side of motor

Did you find it.......

Let me know if you need a knock sensor or a ecm. ill help you out

Austin, TX
    I need an ECM but I don't have $1K. Can you help me out? I've been riding with the ECM bug in an 02 turbo all season. Cold in the morning I can get 30-40 minutes before it trips. Almost like clockwork. Must be a cap on the board warming up or something. I've even wired a volt meter in line to confirm I have no knock. Sensor stays 5mv-25mv which is in range. Oh well.

Mooresville, NC
    Engines always make noise that is not always knock.. the ecm will detect a bad sensor if there is no output. otherwise you could unplug it and continue.
    Try the sensor first.

Punta Gorda
    Quote Originally Posted by supermac View Post
    Engines always make noise that is not always knock.. the ecm will detect a bad sensor if there is no output. otherwise you could unplug it and continue.
    Try the sensor first.

Put a 10k resistor in line. That will usually filter out the unwanted noise. See if that works.

Sorry i didn't get back to this post i made. I just replaced it all and put it back together. The knock sensor i pulled out seemed fine to me just rusted on the bolt area(if anyone is interested, i could post pictures of the knock sensor i pulled out.). It's possible there's something wrong with it electronically but as far as i could tell by looking at it, it didn't look damaged. I will probably be testing it tomorrow to see how it performs. I have a second r-12x so i will be looking up how to remove the ecm so i could also try that out if it still fails.

edit: How do i remove the ecm from the ski? I know where it is and based off the manual it just says to remove the two connectors and pull it out. I'm afraid to break off a cable or something if i just pull on them. is there a proper way to remove the connectors or is there a tab i need to push on?

I have one more question though, when i first tested the ski in a canal before i took it out to the ocean, i rode it for about 30 minutes and it didn't fail which led me to believe it was riding fine. then the minute i got out of the no-wake zone in the ocean it threw a code. Is there any specific way i could go about testing the ski to make sure i do trip the code if it's failing? i dont want to think it's fine and have it ruin another day for me out in the ocean.
    Last edited by lucasi4; 05-22-2014 at 07:23 PM.

Thread Information