Installed d plate and sensor chip in 2004 xlt1200. what a nightmare!!!!

I'm new to PWC. I tend to know boats much better, such as I/O mercruiser motors. So Yamaha 2 stroke engines are new to me. Just installed. D plate in xlt1200 and was able to remove cat con with exhaust still in waverunner. I tried very hard to pull exhaust out of PIC but no luck so I did it right with exhaust half over cylinder heads and with some help was able to loosen bolts and out came cat con. The hard part was getting to the bottom bolt that holds cat con exhaust to motor..........dang hard and slices my hand a few times on sharp metal. Shed blood all over engine and some on waverunner. I figured I've worked on 4 strokes and 454 gm engines but the amount of space in a waverunner engine compartment makes the job very difficult!!! If there was more room to manuever, it would be a simple issue but the exhaust is so wide. I will upload the YouTube video I did of it and as a newbie to PWC.....wow! I'm sure others will learn what to do and not to do. But I learned a lot from green hulk on what bolts to loosen to change d plate. The power valves have been fixed by SBT and have there version on clips. And it's been converted to premix. Anything else I'm missing to make this pwc a reliable one?

oil lines need to be changed. They tend to shrink over time and pop off causing a siezure. The pipe is a pain to get out. You have to take the lower bracket off the bottom of the j pipe then twist the pipe as you pull up. Takes a couple of tries first time but once you figure it out they pop right out.

Quote Originally Posted by scittb View Post
    oil lines need to be changed. They tend to shrink over time and pop off causing a siezure. The pipe is a pain to get out. You have to take the lower bracket off the bottom of the j pipe then twist the pipe as you pull up. Takes a couple of tries first time but once you figure it out they pop right out.
    What oil lines? I thought if I go premix then it gets rid of the oil line issue. Any help as to which oil lines need to be replaced with a premix would be great. Thanks

+1
    Correct, once you go "premix" no oil lines to be concerned with. Think, maybe scittb, did not see your premix statement. Where do you live & will ride ?

+1
    P.S. Welcome to the Hulk !

welcome to the G Hulk family!!!!

@Waverunner4me: Hi, that is a very good idea to upload the video at least we can get idea what not to do while opening the Yamaha 2 stroke engines and please share a link with us when you will upload the video.

pcb and assembly
    Last edited by mercimek; 07-04-2014 at 12:38 PM.

+1
    Here are some instructions on removing the stinger pipe:

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=1#post1475581

Removing the stinger pipe from the hull on an XLT1200 is an exercise in patience. I've done it so many times now I can't count, and still struggle occasionally. It helps to have a beer first, during, and after.

-Greg

Thread Information