Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Unstable idle and wandering RPM during low speeds

This morning my 08' RXT-X wouldn't really idle on its own, even after it was nice and warm.. Idle would dip down and it would feel like the whole ski was trying to shake itself apart for a second, then it would come back up to normal RPM.. It would just keep going back and forth like that erratically when I wasn't applying any throttle..

Then I noticed when I was at part throttle (like in a no wake or low wake zone) the RPM's would wander +/- 200 with a constant throttle application.

Ski has 137 hours on it, it was only my third time taking it out and it didn't have either of these symptoms the last time I took it out..

Any ideas?

I had the same problem on an 08 RXPX. It turned out to be the spark plugs although there was only 12 hours on the ski after 4 years. One of the cylinders was not firing up correctly, sounded like a paint can sometimes

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by slope View Post
    It turned out to be the spark plugs....
    +1

Changed out the plugs and the problem is still there, no different. Is there anything else I can check easily before taking it in and spending money to have someone look at it?

+1
    Maybe some bad gas?

6. +1 by:

I doubt its the gas, I've been through 2 tanks both from different sources (all 93 octane). Ill try and run some sea foam in the next tank, see if it may be a little grime in the system. Is the Idle adjustable mechanically? If it would pick up a few hundred RPM at idle it would be smooth.

+1
    Could be your idle air control valve had one today it would not idle on the trailer unless throttle is applied and would not stay at a constant RPM also check engine light was on and throwing code P050Click image for larger version. 

Name:	valve.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	329367... Its the black electronic valve on the throttle body held in by two Phillips screws you can remove it and clean and inspect it, It will have a plunger on it do not push or pull on it as you can ruin it but see if it looks like its extended out all the way and not pushed in.. if its stuck in it could be bad.. also test the 4 pins on it its either 1&2 then 3&4 or 2&4 then 1&3 but you should have about 50 ohms Resistance between the connectors

9. +1 by:

+1
    The one on the right was found good the one on the left was found bad
    Quote Originally Posted by myown1manarmy View Post
    Could be your idle air control valve had one today it would not idle on the trailer unless throttle is applied and would not stay at a constant RPM also check engine light was on and throwing code P050Click image for larger version. 

Name:	valve.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	329367... Its the black electronic valve on the throttle body held in by two Phillips screws you can remove it and clean and inspect it, It will have a plunger on it do not push or pull on it as you can ruin it but see if it looks like its extended out all the way and not pushed in.. if its stuck in it could be bad.. also test the 4 pins on it its either 1&2 then 3&4 or 2&4 then 1&3 but you should have about 50 ohms Resistance between the connectors

+1
    Check for a leaking intercooler

What are your Max RPM's at WOT ?

max rpms that I have seen are about 7900ish, it is never really steady and the water has been rough every time I've been out. I have only done a few full throttle runs, and only a few seconds each time. Ill check the valve and maybe pull the intercooler and clean it/check the hoses.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information