Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2003 MSX 140 won't idle

This ski runs great but won't idle. When I remove the TPS from the throttle body (leaving it plugged in) and turn it back and forth , I can adjust the tps manually to get the ski to idle perfectly. However, when I line up the tps to mount it so I can insert the two bolts, I lose my setting and the tps is turned to an adjustment where it wont let the ski idle at all.

Is there any way to rotate the tps while it is mounted with the two bolts? By the way, I ordered another brand new tps and am getting the same result. So, I'm hoping there is a way to adjust while mounted.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Something else is wrong.

The TPS signal has a specific voltage signal when at idle position, mounted on the throttle body.

Measure the actual voltage coming out of the installed TPS. Engine does not need to be running. Just unplug the 8-pin EMM connector and install the temporary Service Power Jumper. This will power up the EMM and the TPS 5 volt DC supply.

At the TPS, with Black meter probe on Black TPS wire, the opposite pin should measure very close to 5.00 volts DC. This 5 volts comes from the EMM.

If the TPS power is correct at 5 volts, move the Red meter probe to the centre TPS wire. At idle this should measure 0.350 volts DC or a hair more.

With throttle fully squeezed the TPS signal should rise to right around 4.70 volts DC.

On the MSX 140 (and only this model) you can unplug and simply omit the intervening ESP module. Just fully unplug both 3-pin ESP connectors, then plug the wire harness directly into the TPS pigtail connector.

This allows testing of the TPS and EMM without any possibility of the ESP module interfering. Once you have the engine and TPS working properly, simply reconnect the ESP connectors as before.

Hi. Thanks very much for the response. First, what is the "temporary Service Power Jumper?" Do I have one? Also, can you give me more detail on the "ESP Module?" I want to make sure I bypass correctly.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Something else is wrong.

The TPS signal has a specific voltage signal when at idle position, mounted on the throttle body.

Measure the actual voltage coming out of the installed TPS. Engine does not need to be running. Just unplug the 8-pin EMM connector and install the temporary Service Power Jumper. This will power up the EMM and the TPS 5 volt DC supply.

At the TPS, with Black meter probe on Black TPS wire, the opposite pin should measure very close to 5.00 volts DC. This 5 volts comes from the EMM.

If the TPS power is correct at 5 volts, move the Red meter probe to the centre TPS wire. At idle this should measure 0.350 volts DC or a hair more.

With throttle fully squeezed the TPS signal should rise to right around 4.70 volts DC.

On the MSX 140 (and only this model) you can unplug and simply omit the intervening ESP module. Just fully unplug both 3-pin ESP connectors, then plug the wire harness directly into the TPS pigtail connector.

This allows testing of the TPS and EMM without any possibility of the ESP module interfering. Once you have the engine and TPS working properly, simply reconnect the ESP connectors as before.
    Last edited by K447; 05-12-2014 at 11:48 AM.

+1
    Info should be findable from my signature links, use the search function in top right corner.

Also posted in Tech or FAQ sections on Polaris GreenHulk.

Ok. Thanks again. I'll review the information. One more question. Is the TPS designed to be adjustable, or should it mount up and work properly? I don't understand the concept why I can manually manipulate it to get the ski to idle when I have it off the throttle body connection.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by davlabo View Post
    Ok. Thanks again. I'll review the information. One more question. Is the TPS designed to be adjustable, or should it mount up and work properly? I don't understand the concept why I can manually manipulate it to get the ski to idle when I have it off the throttle body connection.
    TPS mounting is not intended to be adjustable. It should just mount up and deliver the expected idle position voltage, within a fairly narrow range.

That is why I said something else is wrong. Start with check the 5 volt power to the TPS and bypassing the ESP module.

Hi. Finally having some free time to play around and do the tests. With either TPS in my possession, I get about 1.08 volts at the red wire and about .062 at the white wire. At the white wire, there is also no change in voltage as I squeeze the throttle. When bypassing the ESP (I assume you mean the inline start/stop module), voltage at the red wire is about the same. Voltage at the white wire is a tad less, at about .047.

+1
    Hi. Finally having some free time to play around and do the tests. With either TPS in my possession, I get about 1.08 volts at the red wire and about .062 at the white wire.

At the white wire, there is also no change in voltage as I squeeze the throttle. When bypassing the ESP, voltage at the red wire is about the same. Voltage at the white wire is a tad less, at about .047.
    Where was the black meter probe touching when you measured these?

All those voltages are way low, like the EMM was not even awake.

When things are working properly the EMM provides a regulated 5.00 volts to the TPS. The EMM must be powered up and awake, which means either the engine is running or the service power jumper is in place at the 8-pin wire harness connector (unplugged from the EMM).

The TPS then sends a fraction of that voltage back the EMM according the the shaft rotation position.

I jumpered pins one and seven. Black on probe went to black wire on TPS connector. I lifted the plastic lid on the TPS side and pushed the probes through the orange rubber covers.

+1
    I jumpered pins one and seven.

Black on probe went to black wire on TPS connector. I lifted the plastic lid on the TPS side and pushed the probes through the orange rubber covers.
    Hmmm. Something is not right

Meter set to DC volts, probes making solid contact in the connector?

With the service jumper in place, unplug one of the injectors and confirm there is battery voltage on the White/Red wire. This is what the service jumper does. Service jumper wire has a snug fit in the 8-pin connector?

Also make sure the diagnostic 4-pin loopback connector is properly plugged together.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information