Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2002 Virage TXi possible impeller problem, need to replace the entire jet pump

I just took my bike out for an afternoon. While I was happy with the way the motor ran, I feel like something is worn out. If I had to relate my car knowledge to this problem, I would describe it like a slipping clutch. The motor runs really strong. But from a stop, it works really hard to get out of the water and get going. I could hit the limiter easily out of the hole.

It also seems to sit really low in the back. Especially if your riding 2 people. Im assuming this is normal and I cant do anything to fight that. But man was it struggling to get out of the water with 2 people on it.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Last edited by K447; 05-15-2014 at 05:40 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Either the driveline is slipping or the impeller is ventilating or cavitation.

When the Virage TXi is running properly it certainly does not 'struggle' to get on plane!

Start with the driveline. Have you previously removed the jet pump and inspected the driveshaft splines? And the mating splines in the impeller nose? All the splines should be square and even, not rounded over or tapered.

The engine coupler also has splines inside which should be inspected. In addition, this is a rubber bonded coupler. Sometimes the bonding fails and allows the outer section of the coupler to rotate faster then the inside, which is not good.

Thats a big unknown area for me. I know nothing of the propulsion setup and assembly of these things. Im goona have to ask you to be patient with me. Tomorrow im going to look up the parts for these things to atleast understand what parts you are referring too. I will hopefully have time to pick your brain. As far as taking it apart, do I need to purchase anything to be able to put it back together? Or is it all machined surface with no gaskets required?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Keeper1343 View Post
    Thats a big unknown area for me. I know nothing of the propulsion setup and assembly of these things. Im goona have to ask you to be patient with me.

Tomorrow im going to look up the parts for these things to at least understand what parts you are referring too. I will hopefully have time to pick your brain.

As far as taking it apart, do I need to purchase anything to be able to put it back together? Or is it all machined surface with no gaskets required?
    Please have a look at the web pages linked from my signature below.

Lots of info on how the jet pump comes apart and what to inspect. Also info on common repairs and maintenance.

You do not need to replace any parts when simply removing the jet pump for inspection.

Ok so I tried to remove the 4 bolts from the pump housing and I could only get 2 out without breaking. I used heat and fluid. They looked terrible. My next question is what is that long black shaft looking thing on the right by the steering cable? Also, the nipple right underneath that? I do see some slight damage to the impeller. What should the clearance be between the impeller and the cylinder around it? Seems pretty wide.

Update... after removing the impeller and housing, the whole unit needs to be replaced. There is extensive corrosion on everything. The inpeller is not in good shape at all. The housing that stays with the ski is completely corroded and would make installing the new stuff impossible. I will post pics of the condition.

+1
    Hard to tell for sure but from the photo it looks like (some of?) the impeller splines are worn.

Impressive amount of corrosion in there!

What does the sacrificial anode look like? Small metal puck screwed onto the pump base.

the impeller splines look realllly good actually. thank god. My next thought is.... whats next without breaking my bank. Anybody you know sell parts pretty cheap? I look on ebay and im not sure what a good and bad unit is. I have looked at some and thought they looked good, but I think they want too much money for a used part. Brand new its gonna cost around 550-600 bucks. So I think the parts list consists of, the pump base, extention wear ring, stator, impeller, bearings and those long ass 4 bolts. not to mention that black water line that's down there is in bad shape as well.

are u talking about the salt infested thing on the bottom left of the housing? is that what your referring to? Cause I couldn't tell what the hell that thing was.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information