Polaris MSX150 Turbo. Cheap, but disassembled. Questions.

I am planning on getting a 2004 Polaris MSX150 Turbo from an older man that traded for the trailer it sits on, but didnt end up needing the trailer. The ski has been outside, but everything but the seat and paint are in good condition. It appears someone has started to remove the motor for whatever reason, but all of the parts are there. Some of the motor and pump have been removed and the pump has been uncoupled. I hooked a battery to it and it turned over no prob. The gauges powered up just fine. He is asking $350 for it. Just want to make sure that it would be worth trying to resurrect, and if there are any really common killer issues that I could look for. Thanks.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

The Weber turbo engine is a nice engine when it runs well, but can be expensive and difficult to repair when things go bad.

I would suspect the engine has developed one of the common and well known problems. Depending on which problem(s) this engine has, it ranges from just needing unseizing (the turbo wastegate shaft) to complete engine rebuild (Nikasil cylinder plating failure) or something in the middle (internal water pump gear failure).

If you are mechanically inclined the MSX hull is considered an excellent candidate for an engine swap conversion, usually upgrading to a supercharged SeaDoo 4-Tec engine. Several of these conversions have been documented on Greenhulk.

See my signature links for some useful info on not only the Weber engine but also on the rest of the watercraft, which uses a lot of parts common to other Polaris models, including the jet pump.

It might make sense to just buy it and part it out.

I sure there are people looking for parts.

+1
    $350 you would make $$$$$ off that deal.

+1
    Welcome to GH Bnagy!

Where abouts are you located?

K447 is spot on... the Weber engine is expensive. I know... I've got one and rebuilt a few others. There are a number of common issues. Nothing that can't be fixed... with enough $$. And a good running MSX 150 is a sweet machine. As mentioned... the MSX hull is a good performer.

But the ski was broken in some way... or else it wouldn't have been abandoned and partially disassembled. So keep that in mind.

As for parting out... be aware... there are very few buyers of MSX 150/110 parts. The ski is a one-year-wonder... so there are not many of them out there. Plus, there are already 3-4 fully parted out MSX 150/110's on eBay at any given time. And many of those parts have been on eBay for years. So don't get all excited by the asking prices you see on eBay thinking you'll be rich... cause to move any parts... you'll have to greatly undercut the asking prices there... and then it still takes time to sell. And there are only certain parts from the ski that seem to be in any sort of demand. Most parts off the ski won't sell. Just something to consider before you invest a lot of time and effort.

Let us know what happens. We can help you get it fixed if you choose that route.

Cheers!

6. +1 by:

I believe I am going to get it and try to get it running. If I cant get it going fairly quickly or without spending a ton of cash, then I will part it out. I am definitely going to need yall's help. I have no idea where to start without pictures. There are parts taken off. I will post some pics as soon as I get it. I guess the first thing I will do is check for compression, then re assemble everything and go from there.

+1
    Yeah... start with checking compression... maybe while you inspect it before you buy it. You want 125psi-140psi in each. Pull coils and plugs and throw in a good battery and see if she'll crank over. If so, hook up your gauge and get some #s.

If compression is bad (sadly... pretty common)... you're likely looking at "cooked" rings (likely from detonation)... a blown headgasket (probably from overheat due to broken waterpump drive gear)... or the dreaded Nicasil plating failure. Fixing any one of these is not cheap and all require pulling the engine completely out. You'll be spending close to a grand (if it's just piston rings)... all the way up to $2000+ (fixing Nicasil failed block).

Food for thought. Cheers!

Thread Information