99 XP Starting Issues...

Hi guys,

I've had a bit of a search around but can't seem to find anything specific to my problem.

Basically...engine was removed from ski for a top end rebuild. All good and well, re-installed engine and hooked up everything the way it came out. Started and ran for 10 seconds, and did this maybe 3 or four more times (started and stopped). I pushed the ski out of the workshop that night, and the following day hooked it up to the truck to take it for a lake test. I went to start the ski as I always do before I actually leave home and there was nothing at all happening when I hit the start button. No noises, no clicks etc.

I changed out the battery for a known good one, checked and cleaned all the fuses, grounds, battery leads, etc and still nothing.

The strange part is that if I disconnect the battery and cycle the power, the bilge comes on for a few seconds, then goes off. When I sert the dess key, I get the normal 2 chirps and the red light comes on at the dash. The start button still does nothing. If I remove the key and re-install, I get neither the bilge cycling power, the red light on the dash, or the 2 chirps.

I have never been able to get the gauges to respond with pressing the start button several times as I have read in other posts. The strange part about it, is that if I cycle the power on the battery, install the dess key I get the 2 chirps, and then the bilge will continue to cycle off and on every 10 or so seconds, until the key is removed and re-installed, then nothing at all.

The other strange things that happens is that every now and then (while I'm attempting) to diagnose, the engine will start cranking when I connect the battery, regardless of weather the key is in place or not but it only does it every now and then, say, one out of 5 times and never consistentently.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

+1
    wow thats new to me a ski cranking without Key, take cover off coil box, Any rust from water ?, Im thinking MPEM is faulty they do go bad but check all conections, then bench test the mpem

Yeah it's a bit strange since the thing has always been faultless even 12 hours prior. Everything is new and clean inside the front electrical box so all is good there. How does one go about bench testing the mpem? I suspect it may be the problem but don't like the idea of spending big bucks just to find out that wasn't the problem!

Cheers!

I had a similar strange issue a while back on my 97 there is a fuse inside the coil box and believe it or not the actual fuse holder was bad and caused all kinds of gremlins.

+1
    I am sure there is a chart in the Manual on ohm testing all points, I know my 04 RXP has a chart in it so I would assume yours would as well, worth a look into. seadoomanuals.net

An update on this. Checked front fuse and its good clean and new. To rule out the start stop switch I put 12v directly onto the yellow/red wire of the starter solenoid and of course it cranks no problem but does not have any spark...even after the key has been plugged in and I get the two chirps.

The strange thing is when I get the two chirps, the bilge pump goes off and on every 15 seconds or so. Once you pull the key and reinsert, I get no chirps and no response from anything until the battery is disconnected and reconnected.

I assume the mpem sends power out to the active wire that is switched on the solenoid once the key is accepted?

+1
    sounds like MPEM my friend is bad.

Thread Information