Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

AquaX: Mandatory Fuel...Opinions?

I am putting this out there directed mostly toward those who have race experience but also for those with tech savvy, engine builders,...etc:

For the next race located in Jacksonville, Fl. AquaX is mandating that race boats must only use fuel that is to be supplied from an on site fuel truck. The fuel octane to be supplied is only 90 octane. In case anyone is wondering, 90 oct. is the minimum required fuel rating as posted on the sticker by the fuel cap on the Ultra 300/310. I personally have a huge problem with this requirement. I never run anything less than 93 oct & for race day for either CC or endurance events I usually mix in some race gas to ensure my oct. rating is high enough & to help the engine burn a little cooler & hopefully extend engine life. These are $16K skis. I have never had a problem having a little extra protection in the fuel dept. I have expressed my concern to Aquax officials but so far they are sticking to the 90 oct. requirement. Their reasoning is to prohibit someone from using an aftermarket ECU in their stock racing. I have given my thoughts to them on the ECU thing & how it can be programed to simply bypass the speed limiter without necessarily changing timing.

I would appreciate input here so that I might forward how the masses feel about running 90 oct for 30-40 minute motos. I may be overreacting but Im not good with this requirement. This, on top of the ruling that SeaDoo RXPX can run a scom & Yami can change thier BOV but a 300/310 cant even change the ride plate is very discouraging & I consider biased. Let me know how you all feel about this.

Thanks,

Doug

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppa Dawg View Post
    I am putting this out there directed mostly toward those who have race experience but also for those with tech savvy, engine builders,...etc:

For the next race located in Jacksonville, Fl. AquaX is mandating that race boats must only use fuel that is to be supplied from an on site fuel truck. The fuel octane to be supplied is only 90 octane. In case anyone is wondering, 90 oct. is the minimum required fuel rating as posted on the sticker by the fuel cap on the Ultra 300/310. I personally have a huge problem with this requirement. I never run anything less than 93 oct & for race day for either CC or endurance events I usually mix in some race gas to ensure my oct. rating is high enough & to help the engine burn a little cooler & hopefully extend engine life. These are $16K skis. I have never had a problem having a little extra protection in the fuel dept. I have expressed my concern to Aquax officials but so far they are sticking to the 90 oct. requirement. Their reasoning is to prohibit someone from using an aftermarket ECU in their stock racing. I have given my thoughts to them on the ECU thing & how it can be programed to simply bypass the speed limiter without necessarily changing timing.

I would appreciate input here so that I might forward how the masses feel about running 90 oct for 30-40 minute motos. I may be overreacting but Im not good with this requirement. This, on top of the ruling that SeaDoo RXPX can run a scom & Yami can change thier BOV but a 300/310 cant even change the ride plate is very discouraging & I consider biased. Let me know how you all feel about this.

Thanks,

Doug
    WOW..poppa dawg what a coincidence !

Was on the Phone with M Petro (ADM) on Thurs discussing the same thing ,I'm doing the Cocoa Beach race in Aug.
    I asked her between races 2 and 3 we will Definitley need gas so can I get gas out in the street at a station even though they will have a fuel truck selling 91 oct ethanol free "she said no leaving the wet pits between 2 and 3 ,then can I use a octane booster like Torco or VP as I always run 93 Always" she said no additives aloud"..

Saturday is one race can't you take it out after that day fill her up real good 93 oct. the next morning for Sundays 2 motos?
    Do you have to leave it overnite?

+1
    Mr. Doug, with as hard as Tyler rides I would be very hesitant to run that fuel. I would not in my ski.

With all the brand specific rules it is becoming obvious who is giving them the sponsorship money. Heck Yamaha gave contracts this year for that series so you know they are in it. I want so badly to go race one of those races because I am off work for a couple but with needing to race handicapped like we are on the Kawasaki Ultra it is keeping me home.

4. +1 by:

Banned User
    +1
    And here I though aqua would be the only fair race in town, Apparently not. Even if its not a clear bias towards one manufacturer why wouldn't they at bare minimum at least supply the Highest octane rating that you can get out of the pump in a country that the racing takes place in

That being said I wouldn't trust no additive and wouldn't run 90, just not worth it

+1
    I did speak with several aqua x racers and while not happy are willing to chance it. They are much braver than I am. Their reasoning was since they run a stock tune they feel it is safe. I replied that Kawasaki's recommendation of 91 minimum is also with a stock tune. This is why I always recommend even with just the scom run 93. Anxious to see if these guys racing with sub standard fuel will get their engine damage covered by warranty. If it will be covered I say why not race it. In my case with no warranty and an engine I just built. Heck no.

+1
    For one thing, if your engine goes & the dealership finds out your in a organized racing event, you have that battle for warranty coverage. 2nd, how long will it take the average dealership to get your ski back to you even if they do warranty the repair. I'm guessing you would miss at least the next 2 months racing. No thanks. I bought this 310 just for AquaX but these new rules are ridiculous. I will not run 90 oct by itself so I can either give up the idea of racing the series or I am left with picking out 2 races to enter in the Open class & just race for fun.

8. +1 by:

Well Doug in the 310 we do have the Knock Sensor. Wouldn't that likely save the engine if you are 1 number low on Octane Rating?

I don't think my 310 has ever had to invoke the Knock Sensor . . . but then if it has I don't know if I would be able to feel it?

Bad rule in effect. The new Yamaha's need 91 Octane too. We should be bringing more Racers to the table, not driving them away. JB

+1
    personally i would say goodbye to the series, very unfair ruling if they are supply a fuel that isnt rated for the ski thats very poor..

+1
    John, the knock sensor is great, but, a 20 hr. drive, fuel & hotel, food, entry, time away from work, & then in the middle of your 1st moto your knock sensor sends you to limp mode....game over. It's idiotic.

12. +1 by:

+1
    Just out of curiosity, I know the 310 would loose the knock feature but with the slightly lower compression would running the 300 ecu with less timing than the 310 be safe to run 90 octane fuel? Just a thought and really I guess a question for those that may know.

i know they so not allow ecu tunes or scom but this would be a lower performance modification to make it safe for their stipulations.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information