Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Help for a new guy

First off just want to say this is an awesome forum! Lotta good information here especially for a new guy. I've just been reading the past few days and trying to absorb as much information as I can and am ready to ask what I think is a logical question(maybe).

Do you guys have recommendations for a first time PWC owner(I've been driving skis since I was young) who's looking for a reliable two-seater fast, fun ski? I know that's not ultra specific, but I'm keeping an open mind. I'm giving myself around $5000 to work with. Thanks for your help, this is a cool place

+1
    Welcome to the site.
    If you want a 4 stroke than you can pick up a "2006 ish" RXP or RXT. Both are nice reliable skis that meet your requirements for fast and fun. If you're looking for a 2 stroke you may want to consider a Yami gp1300r or Kawi Ultra 150. The Polaris slx models are a blast as well. but, none of the 2 strokes I mentioned are really good for 2up riding even though they're considered 2 seaters. If you want a fast ski that is good for 2up riding I'd recommend a 4 stroke model.
    Good luck.

+1
    With a $5,000 budget and looking for speed, you are going to sacrifice a little reliability. As skis age, they generally need more attention than normal.

+1
    Thanks for the info. Just from reading, I had kind of thought that might be the direction I was headed in but it's good to get confirmation of that. Anything I would specifically look for in the RXP or RXT model you mentioned maintenance wise?

+1
    Supercharger's need rebuilt about every 2 years around $300-500

You could also get a new Spark and MOD it up later when you have more funds-

Just let us know the model and year if you find one and we can tell you the issues that it may have

+1
    I've seriously considered a Spark, but I'm not gonna be able to walk out of a dealership with one for less than 7k. But I am really tempted by them. My local dealer has a 60hp 2up in orange which i want to jump all over, but I'm scheduled to test drive one at the end of the month and want to ride one before I commit.

+1
    So I've found a 2008 RXP 215 pretty near me that the guy is asking $6500. He says that the wear ring has been replaced, new GEL battery, super charger has been rebuilt and has around 20 hours on it, and the ski as around 128 hours. He is the second owner, picked it up from a guy in N. Georgia. He's had it for a little over a month but decided he wants to buy some land instead, that why he's selling it. Price includes a "newer" trailer a new kneeboard, a few life jackets, and a new tube.

So a few questions? does it seem like a fair price for the whole package? If I go look at this thing, what do I need to be looking out for. He sent me some close up pics, the ski looks really clean, glossy, etc. Thanks for helping out the rookie.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by AUJeep View Post
    So I've found a 2008 RXP 215 pretty near me that the guy is asking $6500. He says that the wear ring has been replaced, new GEL battery, super charger has been rebuilt and has around 20 hours on it, and the ski as around 128 hours. He is the second owner, picked it up from a guy in N. Georgia. He's had it for a little over a month but decided he wants to buy some land instead, that why he's selling it. Price includes a "newer" trailer a new kneeboard, a few life jackets, and a new tube.

So a few questions? does it seem like a fair price for the whole package? If I go look at this thing, what do I need to be looking out for. He sent me some close up pics, the ski looks really clean, glossy, etc. Thanks for helping out the rookie.
    It's hard to judge if its a good price or not. You really have to compare the market in your area. I would see if he has proof of the rebuild done on the SC. I would also want to water test it. That ski "stock" should be running around 8100 rpm at WOT. If it is not, than I would think something is not right. Check the oil after your ride and make sure it's not cloudy or milky. Also visually check the wear ring and tunnel for issues. If the wear ring is toast it won't accelerate hard.
    Not being able to water test the ski should be a deal breaker. Checking the rpm at WOT is a very easy diagnostic check unless the ski has been modded.
    Good luck.

PS. find out what oil is in it as well. "to make sure it's SC compatible"

+1
    Thanks for the info SN. If it is reaching around 8100 RPM at WOT, is it safe to assume that there is good compression in all of the cylinders as well? Or should that be checked independently?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by AUJeep View Post
    Thanks for the info SN. If it is reaching around 8100 RPM at WOT, is it safe to assume that there is good compression in all of the cylinders as well? Or should that be checked independently?
    Lots of things "including comp" could cause lower than normal RPMs, but I would expect a SC issue first. Without the expected RPM's I would check the SC, plugs,prop and Compression. It could even have old fuel or an improper oil level. You may want to check comp even if the RPM's are good. "better safe than sorry" I tested an RXT that had lower rpms and was slower than expected. Took it back to the dock and noticed the SC hose had popped off "a common problem" The guy said it had ran like that since he had purchased it a year prior. He just assumed it was normal.
    It does not have to be a deal breaker if the ski isn't perfect, just know what you're getting into and deal accordingly. I had purchased a cherry RXT from a guy who hadn't bothered running the ski after de-winterizing it. During the test drive it ran pretty crappy, so I was able to get him to knock off an additional $600 because of how it was running. Turned out to be bad fuel and plugs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information