Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

97 seadoo xp starter solenoid click

So I went out camping last weekend...had a blast. My buddy rode my 97 xp and rolled it. He flipped it back over the wrong direction and took on a ton of water. Not his fault, he was used to newer seadoo's. Engine got hydro locked. Towed it back to shore and pulled the spark plugs. It was like a super soaker (if you guys remember those) shooting out the plug holes. Got all that cleaned out and it would fire up and die. Fire up and die over and over again. Then it just started clicking. I tracked down the click to the black box that the plug wires come from. So eventually gave up and trailered it and drained out the rest of the water in the hull.

So now back at home we sprayed down the cylinders with wd40. Took apart the black box that has a seal. No water inside. Found a starter solenoid and when hitting the start button I can feel it click. Charged and tested the battery. Back to full charge. Tested one of the thick red wires inside the black box and measures the same as the battery. So power is getting there. Other thick red wire in the box no power. Top and bottom of solenoid have heavy corrosion. We cranked and cranked getting buckets of water out of the engine the day before. I'm betting on just being a bad solenoid. But I have seen other forum comments that it could be worse. I'm going to start by replacing an obvious problem with the corrosion and replace the solenoid.

Anyone have any insight. Maybe a check off list when these sort of problems come up? I saw in the forums to check the pto shaft that it still turns but I don't know where to test it at...

thank you guys in advance for any tips and advice for how to fix this.
    OC

You can verify the solenoid is bad by jumping the contacts. Don't do it long just enough to see if it trying to crank.

You need to get that ski running ASAP and ride the crap out of it to get water and condensation out of motor.

+1
    solnoid is bad,if you cant get one today or tomarrow from a Seadoo dealer, Start it by pressing start button same time crossing over Solnoid, be sure to use stabil fogging spray as starting fluid this will help lube the intake/carbs as well, If you can get it started by doing this get it to the lake and run the Piss out of it asap

+1
    Hopefully it's just the solenoid... but if you jump it or replace it and it still doesn't start it's time to replace that starter... If you got the starter too hot from repeated use it may have toasted it.

+1
    Crossed the solenoid tonight and engine cranked over! Sprayed a bunch of wd40 in the cylinders again. Will pick up a new starter solenoid tomorrow. The coil next to it had heavy corrosion on the terminals. So cleaning those off too. I can't get back out on the water until Sunday so I hope wd40 does the job keeping rust from forming. Thank you guys for all the advice.
    OC
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	329250  

Quote Originally Posted by OC seadoo View Post
    Crossed the solenoid tonight and engine cranked over! Sprayed a bunch of wd40 in the cylinders again. Will pick up a new starter solenoid tomorrow. The coil next to it had heavy corrosion on the terminals. So cleaning those off too. I can't get back out on the water until Sunday so I hope wd40 does the job keeping rust from forming. Thank you guys for all the advice.
    OC
    wow this A timely thread. I have a 98 GSXL and the lower hose from the engine to the pump came loose and flooded the engine. I did the same thing, starting it a jillion times to pump out the water, then i ran it on the hose. A week later it was doing the click thing as described here, but it would eventually start and it was October so i just fogged it and put it away. If you can't get out to ride it then put it on the hose and run it as soon as possible to get it warm and evaporate out the water before it rusts the cylinders. Jump the solenoid, start the engine and run it NOW. Don't wait for things to rust. You wd40'd the cylinders but the crank bearings will rust and REALLY screw things up if you wait.
    Anyways when i get the ski out of storage i'll see if jumping the solenoid works. If it does then at least its a cheaper part than the starter !

+1
    If you had water in the crank and just started it on the hose 100 times and then put it into storage ,Your engine will be toast,it will need to be pulled down and looked at,if you run it you can lock a small end bearing up and punch it through the cylinder or a crank bearing will tear itself apart and go through your engine and will cause about the same damage.I wouldnt run it,just gona cost you more.... It should of been set in the water and run on the trailer under load for at least 30 minutes ,free reving it wont do it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by OC seadoo View Post
    OC
    WD-40 evaporates over time helps to get moisture out, so good to go out and Spay the Cylinders everyday till you get it running

+1
    Got it fired up tonight! Replaced the solenoid. Wire brushed all the terminals. Went through many multiple slight start and die moments. I bet if would have gapped the plugs further it would have helped fire up quicker. But eventually it fired up. Ran rough at first and smoked like crazy but now I have full throttle response. And my garage smells like WD40. Lol. I let the engine cool back down and fogged it in the spark plug holes with seadoo storage spray. I learned quite a bit dealing with this. Going out this weekend to burn out anything left in there.

Side note about this situation. After having this happen and being towed in I had a young guy come over and check out my xp. He didn't have to but offered his help and experience and tried to get my engine going. We eventually called it a night and he trailered his and took off. The next day the guy showed back up with an extention cord and a battery charger that plugged into his truck! He said he's been in my position before and no one would help. Even though we eventually couldn't get my xp going again last weekend and had to just trailer it. It will be one of those gestures that is going to stick with me. I'm going to be more prepared for when things go wrong. And I want to be that dude. Very selfless community that this forum and watercraft owners bring. Thank you all for any advice and your experience.

OC

+1
    Got out this last weekend on the Sacramento River. Xp fired right up. A little rough idle for about 30 seconds and then it ripped!!! Fouling plug issue is officially gone by using seadoo synthetic blend injection oil. (Previous owner used cheap lawn mower 2 stroke blue crap)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information