Ultra 150 Hybrid crank bearings.

Hi guys.

I'm currently rebuilding my 2001 Ultra 150 crank.

I decided to go with special made Hybrid ceramic bearings from Ceramicspeed in Denmark.

Bearing are OEM bearings, wich were send to Ceramic speed, and modded. They pulled out the original chrome balls, and hard coated the raceways on the bearings, with a coating 3.5 times harder than original. Then they replaced the balls with ceramic balls, and put them back together.

The bearings are now capable of running 35% faster, and reducing friction by 80%. The hard coating is self lubricating, so these bearing can run for 300 hr at full load without lubrication.

This is not for gaining power, but to increase bearing life.

So what are your thoughts about this mod. ?

And NO this was no way near cheap.

Thanks.

+1
    Well, I guess you'll have to tell us how they hold up. Are these things designed to work with reciprocating loads?

I didn't think bearing life in an Ultra 150 engine was a problem. Sounds like they may be an EXCELLENT idea for the jet pump.

+1
    Ceramic bearings were tried over in the SeaDoo forum for Supercharger bearings and they did NOT work out too well. They did not hold up. Mind you they were spinning them over 50,000 rpm
    For the Ultra, probably a waste of money, crank bearing rarely fail, and they only do from oil starvation which would kill a ceramic bearing too!

Jet pump, hmm now there is a possible good application for them but I'm not sure how well ceramic like lateral loads that a jet pump puts out. The ideal bearing would be a tapered roller bearing, but that's not possible in the jetpump design.

I would spend your money on having the crank rebuilt and WELDED to prevent crank misalignment.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Well, I guess you'll have to tell us how they hold up. Are these things designed to work with reciprocating loads?

I didn't think bearing life in an Ultra 150 engine was a problem. Sounds like they may be an EXCELLENT idea for the jet pump.
    Yes they are testet with extreme start/stop loads. So they should do fine in an engine.

They pump will also be fittet ceramic bearings. So will the balance wheels.

A full ceramic bearing would not hold up. The smallest vibration would rouin them. But these are hybrid bearings, only ceramic balls. The coated Hybrid bearings dosent really care about lubrication, and they dont really get hot, not even under high loads.

What about an angular contact bearing in the pump ? These are designet for axial load, rather than the radial load bearings thats in the pump right now.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TLLM View Post
    Are these things designed to work with reciprocating loads?
    Yes they are testet with extreme start/stop loads. So they should do fine in an engine.
    The problem with a reciprocating load is that it's a rapidly changing radial load. A turbine (or jet pump) doesn't have a load that changes direction with every revolution of the shaft--much different animal.

Are these things designed to work with reciprocating loads?

The problem with a reciprocating load is that it's a rapidly changing radial load. A turbine (or jet pump) doesn't have a load that changes direction with every revolution of the shaft--much different animal.
    It is indeed.

The only thing in a full ceramic bearing that fails, is either the outer or inner ring. You can take a caramic ball, and beat the living cr%# out of it, and nothing will happen.

But i already ordred them, so time will show.

The reason why i'm doing a repair on all of this, is that my ski sank and the engine couldent handle water ingestion.
    I had a serious long drive home, and when i got there, i took the motor apart.

The crank was already seized up by that nasty saltwater. So i had to do a rebuild. The ski has 84 hours on it.

About the pump.

The bearings are done too, and god knows why they didnt choose stainless steel bearings. I cant even read the whats written on the bearings. Its rusted away. :/

Anybody have any idea what type of bearings they are ?

+1
    About the pump.

The bearings are done too, and god knows why they didnt choose stainless steel bearings. I cant even read the whats written on the bearings. Its rusted away. :/

I've got some on order, I'll post numbers when they get here.

About the pump.

I've got some on order, I'll post numbers when they get here.
    Thank you so much. I know that thebone in the pump is a 6202-2RS, but the one in the cone, i'm having a hard time reading.

I was thinking about machining a special cone mount, with a bearing inside and outside threads. And then machining different shape cones to screw on for fast change.

Any thoughts on that idea ?

Well here they are. Its 6202-2RS for the pump and 6004-2RS for the cone.

Thread Information