Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Yet another "tell me what impeller is perfect for me" post

I'm just a little unclear on this... the magic prop for a stock to stage 1 RXP seems to be the exalted Solas Concord 14/19R, but that is way too much prop for the heavier RXT with the same engine. Though it's only slightly heavier, the RXT seems to need the 14/17. Seeing as the Sportster/Speedster-150 line of boats have the same engine and weigh nearly twice an RXP... wouldn't it be a disaster to put a 14/19 in it? Am I wrong in assuming weight is the reason for the different prop in the RXT?

It is difficult to find anywhere that has Solas recommendations for sport boats; the closest I found was a place that recommended the 11/19 for the 2004 Sportster 4-Tec.

Also, I want to get and install a stainless steel wear-ring at the same time, but am not sure if the one that fits the RXP also fits the Speedster 150; do they have the same jetpump size?

Thanks- Scott

Solas impellers

Dunno about the stainless steel wear ring/pump size, but for your questions about which Solas impeller, try e-mailing your question(s) to Ms. Abby Chiang of Solas Science & Engineering, Marketing Dept., at [email protected]. She was very helpful when I needed the same info last year - hope she's still there for you.

From what I've been able to ascertain, the new sportboats do have the same sized aluminum pumps as the skis, so props and wear rings listed for them will fit the Sportster/Speedsters. Seems that although some of the impeller part numbers are different, the difference is just related to pitch, not size.

Model.........Impeller........Wear ring
    RXP '06.....267000283.....267000105
    RXP '07.....267000283.....267000372
    RXT..........267000285.....267000105
    Sportster...204160259.....267000105
    Speed 150..267000285.....267000338*
    Speed 200..267000285.....267000105*
    Challenger...267000285.....267000105

*The 267000338 and 267000105 wear rings are obsolete, and have been replaced by part number 267000372, more durable, but a pain in the a$$ to replace.

From everything I've read, I think a Solas Concord 13/18 should be a good match for my setup.

OK, my Solas C. 13/18 is on the way and I'll be installing it this weekend. I didn't go with the 14/19, because I just had a feeling it would drop my RPMs down to 7800, and the 150 is surely too heavy for it, plus I'm a little more concerned with acceleration rather than top speed.

While I'm waiting... I did find a place that recommended the 11/19 for the Speedster 150/200. Would anyone care to postulate on what should be the pros & cons between a 13/18 pitch and a 11/19? We know the stock prop is 10/21 (if it could be compared to the Solas, which it probably can't), so what am I going to be losing, if anything, by throwing on the 13/18?

-Scott

You will find the Solas impeller to be of far more solid and polished construction than the stock. The blades are much thicker and trap far less debris. The sharper, thinner edge of the stock blades tended to slice into and thereby trap wooden or plastic objects against the wear ring whereas the Solas has yet to bite into anything. The thinness of the stock impeller as compared to Solas has me wondering whether the stock impeller actually flexed (changed pitch) under high rpm pressure - particularly out of the hole.

The 13/18 will probably give you more "out of the hole" thrust . . . . you'll be thrown back harder on take off and your mid-range acceleration should be impressive, but the 18 on top may cut into your top end speed by reaching the rev limiter sooner than a 19 or 20 would. 20 would probably be too much for stock hp. With the 18, you can bend in more pitch if you are being cut short by the rev limiter.

Might want to do the wear rings while you are in there.

SS wear ring & Solas 13/18 installed, impressions

I love it! I guess it's exactly what I wanted. Chris, you were absolutely right, this prop is all acceleration & holeshot. It was a tough day to test, chilly and windy. I'm assuming that I lost about 1 mhp top end, because my top speed didn't change much, but it was about 15 degrees colder than usual (or since I'm sucking in so much engine heat, maybe that's not a factor; we'll find out next week). My top speed is 56mph, but getting there is so much more exhilarating. Zero cavitation, zero time to plane, it just shoots out of the water. Actually, it really feels like a jetski now.

The great thing is, I'm turning exactly what I was with the stock prop, 8100rpms, so I don't have to spend another day taking the new prop out to tweak it. It makes me wonder though, am I truly topping at 8100, or is the ECU starting to retard things at that point too much to exceed it? I'd love to know at what point the computer is starting to put the brakes on things, or does it just cut the gas at 8200rpms.

The Solas prop looked identical to the stocker, except polished and the blades are thicker. Someone mentioned that Solas could very well be the maker of the stock prop, and from the looks of it, I believe it. The stock prop was not nearly as cheap or inadequate as I thought it might be.

10 hours, and my wear ring was shot. The steel wear rings feels very high quality, and tolerances between the Solas prop and SS wear ring was just microns. I applaud the engineering that allowed them to fit together so perfectly. I didn't think it was possible for two things to be that close together without touching. The freezer trick worked like a charm, of course (I applaud whoever thought of that).

I'd still love to know how a 11/19 pitch-er feels, but I can surmise that it just wouldn't accelerate as fast, but would be 1-2mph quicker on the top end. On my small lake, where I do 98% of my boating, this new acceleration will be much more entertaining than a couple of clicks higher on the top end.

I'd like to again thank Jerry and Riva. I ordered these (and other) products on Monday evening, and Jerry's box arrived on Wednesday, and Riva's on Thursday. That's service!

-Scott

Very interesting, I am all about acceleration but when my friends try to race me with their jetskis I want to be able to have some top end as well, I wonder if the 11/19 would be the better choice for me. If that provided similar or better acceleration than stock while giving 1-2mph on top that is what I would want.

How long (and how difficult) does it take to change the impeller/wear ring on these boats, I am somewhat mechanically inclined and did all the maintenance work on my ski before, but have never changed an impeller or wear ring yet, I was always very careful where I rode so the ring and impeller always looked fine.

Racing any jetski worth it's weight is kind of a losing proposition anyway without some serious mods. It's synonymous with a motorcycle beating a Corvette. Oh, sure, with enough modifications and NOS, the Corvette could beat more types of motorcycles, but not all of them, and how long is the engine going to last like that? I figure with my new acceleration, I can be ahead of, or at least hang with, just about any jetski out there, until I hit my top speed, so that will be enough to scare them.

I think the 11/19 would be a very good choice too (probably why it's recommended). Your acceleration should be improved, and you could gain, but certainly wouldn't lose, top end speed. Plus you wouldn't be so close to the rev limiter as I am. Don't know if it's true or not, but someone mentioned that the ECU starts retarding the engine timing before it hits the redline fuel cutoff, so I worry about that. I might be a good candidate for an Adjust-A-Thrust nozzle now, the way I'm geared with the new prop, to reduce my RPMs.

Installation was time consuming, but easy following these directions:

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=536

It took me about 3-4 hours, and that includes having to run to Home Depot, because I didn't have a 10" socket extention for my wrench (you'll need that). Just make sure you have everything you need before you get started; a set of allen wrenches including 12mm, socket set with extention, vise to hold the impeller tool, blue loctite, grease, space in the freezer, etc.

BTW, Home Depot didn't have a 12mm allen, but Sears did.

-Scott

It gets better-

Testing today with no wind- 58mph! (GPS up & back) Now, it's still 10 degrees cooler than normal, but I definitely didn't lose any of my top end. All my hours of studying what would be the best prop for me paid off, because this one gave me about 80% of its gains on the bottom end, and maybe 20% on the top; exactly what I would have wanted. I still want to be at the big 6-0, but I won't be willing to give up any of my new bottom end power to do it.

Here's a good picture of the stock prop versus the Solas (polished):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Impellers 1.JPG 
Views:	254 
Size:	338.8 KB 
ID:	21143   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Impellers 2.JPG 
Views:	532 
Size:	363.4 KB 
ID:	21144  

well im not talking about racing hotrod jetskis, just your standard run of the mill types which wont go over 60mph anyways. I know I will never be able to beat an rxp/rxt or ultra 250 but I almost never run into those on the water anyways. I have a friend that has a relatively new set of Honda turbo skis, I wonder what those top out at...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information