Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

The unresolved question of being towed in water!!

Folks, I have had a really good try at clamping the water inlet hose going to the exhaust manifold which you need to do if you are being towed in water.

Basically I sat on the ski on its trailer, took off the left hand side panel and tried to fit a clamp to the hose......

Unless you have a rubber arm thats at least 4 foot long you have NO chance!!!!

Not trying to worry anybody but there is surely going to be somebody on a Spark that needs a tow back to shore soon.

I think we probably have some really clever engineers that ride Sparks on this forum, what do you guys think would be a workable solution ?

+1
    If your being towed can you sit on the boat or back another ski and get a clamp on. What if you get vise grips that don't have the teeth and just clamp them on would that be easier than the pinch tool they sell?

Banned User
    +1
    Just tow it slow and don't worry.....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Just tow it slow and don't worry.....
    A 5 MPH tow is Not going to have the force to pump water up into the engine.
    If you tow me like I,m a water skier I don,t want your tow anyway?

5. +1 by:

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by cat10 View Post
    ... clamping the water inlet hose going to the exhaust manifold which you need to do if you are being towed in water.

... tried to fit a clamp to the hose......

Unless you have a rubber arm thats at least 4 foot long you have NO chance!!!!

... there is surely going to be somebody on a Spark that needs a tow back to shore soon.

... think would be a workable solution ?
    Install a shut-off valve inline in the hose?

Shut-off valves have been installed in lots of PWC. Have a look at some of the other forum sections and brands to see how it has been done.

7. +1 by:

I installed a hose pinch clamp but not at all happy with it. It's very difficult to reach. I left it on and open but I'm not even convinced that it would stop the water intrusion after I experimented with the low-pressure garden hose. I'm going to put in a shut off valve .I understand it requires a 1 inch shark ball valve. I want to be able to tow regularly at 9 knots and I'd like to come up with something that I'm comfortable with and trust.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    I installed a hose pinch clamp but not at all happy with it. It's very difficult to reach. I left it on and open but I'm not even convinced that it would stop the water intrusion after I experimented with the low-pressure garden hose. I'm going to put in a shut off valve .I understand it requires a 1 inch shark ball valve. I want to be able to tow regularly at 9 knots and I'd like to come up with something that I'm comfortable with and trust.
    Hi Mark, are you simply going to cut a section out of the exsisting hose to install a shut off valve?

Have you had a go at reaching the hose when sitting on the ski ?

I know most people with new Sparks are thinking they will never need a tow, which is fine because they are brand new and should never let you down.
    But when the day comes when you suck something into your pump or run out of fuel or have an unexplained engine failure, towing will be your only option.

I don,t intend to ever need a tow, but having said that I don,t intend to destroy my engine with water ingestion either.

Just wondered what a 1" Shark ball valve looks like, don,t think we have them here in the UK.

Cheers

I finally got ONE!!! ;) RXT-260-DOO's Avatar
    +1
    Here you go cat10...
    http://www.sharkbite.com/product/ball-valves/

Edit to add: I don't recommend this type of valve. I would use a pvc valve with barbed fittings.
    Last edited by RXT-260-DOO; 05-15-2014 at 03:49 PM.

There is a simple rule that applies.There are those who need a tow and those who are going to need a tow.
    i am going to disconnect the inlet hose on engine with a stub nose screwdriver , open the body
    panel in back of the seat , pull the hose and insert the valve, push it back in place and reconnect it through the left hand side access panel. I plan to use a hose clamp with a plastic tightening knob because of limited room and visibility to tighten.

+1

Shut-Off Valve

Has anyone tried installing something like this ???

1" Premium Ball Valve $9.99

Better than ANY valve provided with aquarium canister filters.
    Excellent for use in controlling pond or aquarium water pumps
    Fits 1 inch ID Flexible Tubing.
    http://www.americanaquariumproducts....bingParts.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1valve.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	329479

13. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information