Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Where to leave my car keys? Lockbox on the tow bar

Last summer I went to the lake with my two jetskis and some friends. We went about 10 miles from the point when my car was. I had the car keys in dry bag in the glove compartment of one of my jetskis but I had to take to the shore the other one since the hose between the SC and the engine got off the clamp.

At the shore I found out that I left the keys in the other jetski and did not wanted to go with the hose off to search for it so I waited about an hour in 100+ to have my keys back.

Then friend of mine came up with very smart idea - to use lock box attached to the car with keys inside so no more waiting for keys situation.

I found on ebay big lock box with 4 digit code /like the one that realtors use, but a bit bigger/ for $20 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Key-Card-Storage-Lock-Box-Realtor-Lockbox-4-Digit-/370531713549?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564569 420d and I am happy as small kid

There are plenty of models so you can choose the one you like most. I chose the big one since my key is a bit bigger.

I attach it to the trailer hitch of the car and lock the keys inside. When I am driving or backing in the water I am taking it off since it is not waterproof and no need to hang from the car if I am away from the water.

I hope this will help someone who don't like the idea to carry the car keys on board the watercraft

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-05-14 18:03:46 +0000-1.jpg 
Views:	536 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	329307Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-05-14 18:03:46 +0000-0.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	329306
    Last edited by K447; 05-14-2014 at 02:17 PM.

+1
    Great idea!

+1
    thats a good idea. i keep mine in a witz (i think) holder but this means more room in the glove box for other stuff.

+1
    What I do is have a door key wired to something under the seat in both of my skis & an ignition key hidden inside the car in case somehow I would lose the keys in the glove box of the skis. Your lockbox idea is good too, especially if you are a distance from your launch point & need help, you might be able to call someone you know in the area who could then bring your tow vehicle to you.

+1
    My keys just stay on shore with everything else. I only have the one ski so my wife and I take turns and either her or I are at the 'camp' with our stuff.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Q in Arizona View Post
    My keys just stay on shore with everything else. I only have the one ski so my wife and I take turns and either her or I are at the 'camp' with our stuff.

i shove as much crap as i can in the glove box. keys included but like i said its in its own case. i have a micro pelican i got from cajunjosh that everything else goes in. then gloves, both keys and goggles.

i need to organize better cause last time i was out all day i did not bring sunscreen or anywhere near enough water.

+1

I will be happy to help with this idea to even one person

I am not an expert on skis or engines, but if I can contribute with some usefull ideas I will be happy

P.S. The title of the thread was supposed to be "Where to leave my car keys?" but somehow ended up with "Here to leave my car keys" and I can't change it

8. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by liquid chicken View Post

i need to organize better cause last time i was out all day i did not bring sunscreen or anywhere near enough water.
    Ouch...major tactical error. Living in this evil wasteland desert my whole life I learned long ago to not ever forget either of those things. I don't even go to the mailbox in the Summer without a bottle of water and a hat...just in case I end up talking to a neighbor for a few minutes or something.

I usually wait until night to check the mail in the Summer anyways ...but night doesn't mean shit here...it will still be 104 at 1 AM...still need water. The only difference between day and night in the summer here is you can't get sun burnt at night but you can still get heat stroke.

+1
    I lock my keys in my truck. it has a keypad from the factory to unlock it. that way if I ever break down next to a ramp that is closer than the one I lauched at (which has happened before), I can call a friend, tell them the code and they can bring the truck to me.

+1
    yeah was a bonehead move on my part. i am still peeling which does have one benefit. i can gross out my wife and daughter.

i was trying to think of something that can go in the front to hold some water but not a cooler as i dont want it banging around. i can order the 2 straps where the safety can goes to secure it down. its not like water will stay cold in there but who cares. old backpack maybe..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information