Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

GPR Bad Crank, Cylinder, Head, Cracked Case, what to do...

Bought an '03 1300R sight unseen(mistake) and was told it made a grinding noise while running and needed new shaft bearings...

Had it shipped because it was so far away, even with shipping it was a deal for a clean ski and trailer.

It arrived and I began looking it over... Found the rear piston and dome were toast so I pulled the cylinder... Yep, big end bearing let go and the cylinder is scored. Still not a huge deal.

Pulled the motor out today to split the cases and exchange the crank and found a huge crack where the rod smacked the case. Basically broke off the entire thread boss on the upper case for the case bolt. Not repairable... not a big fan of repairing cracked cases anyway.

My dilemma... Do I search far and wide for a set of good, clean cases or just throw in the towel and go with a reman short block and take it on the chin with core upcharges because of the cracked case and damaged head.

I've so far come up empty handed in ebay searches for an undamaged head and cases.

If anyone knows of another source to search it would be greatly appreciated. I didn't think parts for this thing would be so hard to find.

+1
    It would be easier to get the short block but you have to turn yours in. You need to find out what they would charge you for the cracked case first. Also you need to find out what caused all the damage or it could happen again.

+1
    If it's on a mating/sealing surface it's not a good core sbt has prices on their site and also pics of what is repairable and what's not. I say find a cheap seadoo,build a gprxp, sell the parts you don't need..

Local shop can get a short block for me for $1800 dressed and warrantied. Don't think I can beat that. I'm sending the injectors out to be tested and cleaned, will check for proper oil pump function and adjustment. Beyond that I think the crank just got tired and let go.

Banned User
    +1
    Any signs of rust on the crank? Rust kills bearings.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by blackedout96 View Post
    Local shop can get a short block for me for $1800 dressed and warrantied. Don't think I can beat that. I'm sending the injectors out to be tested and cleaned, will check for proper oil pump function and adjustment. Beyond that I think the crank just got tired and let go.
    It is most likely a SBT motor. You will probably be lucky to make it through the summer.

GPR Bad Crank, Cylinder, Head, Cracked Case, what to do...

Yeah I don't know who his supplier is... Going in there today and will be asking.

+1
    Contact Mike at pwcengines.com I've had nothing but good experiences with him.

Quote Originally Posted by silver93t View Post
    Contact Mike at pwcengines.com I've had nothing but good experiences with him.
    Yeah I've decided to go away from the core/reman route. Cracked case kind of made that decision for me.

Will be on the search for a good set of cases or complete bottom end.

+1
    I have a complete super stock mel miller 1200 engine for sale. Pm me or look at my posts in the for sale section.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information