Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2006 stx15f need help -- major water issue

hi guys, noob here bought a set of 2006 stx15fs. im gona make this short not to bore people. have oil and water milky mixture. flushed oil 3 times it cleared up let it run on the hose for a while still good. thought maybe the previous owner flushed it wrong. took it out on the water after about 5 minutes I felt that the motor was loosing power so I checked the oil and same thing milky. took it home. hooked up to flush water and saw that a lot of the water is coming out of the exhaust vs turbine. compared to the other ski that has no problem. I mean its probably like 75% out of exhaust. I know its supposed to a lil but not like that. so I took the exhaust manifold out and this is what I found.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3119.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	329362Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3120.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	329363
    question time. 1 could it be clogged to where it had to find a weak spot (prolly headgasket I hope).
    2 is there a way to clean it out 100%
    need help with diag. Im a newbie to the site and to the ski world. but I work for a local auto dealership so I can perform the task no problem just need advise in this situation. please and thank u fellas,

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    If you have water in the oil its either getting there by backing up the exhaust into the motor or you have a leak caused by corrosion. in your case it could be both. I would start by cleaning as much as you can out and replacing all the cooling lines with new clean ones. take the oil cooler off the motor (under the intake manifold under the front), while you are up there check the "cooling log) under the intake manifold as well. Check the outlet cover cooling lines (near the coupler) and clean and vacuum out the ports shown, remove all the fittings and clean them out as well. Its a lot of work but you will be good to go even if that isnt the issue.

Sean

I went ahead and pulled the motor out I will replace all hoses, heres what I found, oil water mix in pcv box on the side of the box and in all associated hoses, heres a few picsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3234.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	332170Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3235.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	110.4 KB 
ID:	332171Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3236.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	127.6 KB 
ID:	332172Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3237.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	123.8 KB 
ID:	332173Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3238.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	332174
    few questions
    1. what do u think? (im gona straight edge it tomorrow and see if I have warpage). gota clean everything up but didn't see any cracks.
    2. my friend told me id have to replace head bolts is that true?
    3. can I use same size automotive braided coolant hose for all the hoses minus the fuel.
    4. can I use auto sealant/silicon tube. for the corners on the gaskets like Honda bond or Toyota FIPG or does it have to be a marine type tube.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Head bolts are reusable just make sure to clean the threads, lube the top where they meet the head, and use locktite on the threads,

I use heat rated clear braided pvc hose.

I use black or blue rtv on basically everything, most gaskets dont need it. Head gasket use ultra copper spray if you reuse, id replace it though. Clean and vacuum out everything.

Sean

will do and ill keep you posted with the progress. thanks for the advice. will look for some hose. where do u get yours?

+1
    I would take a guess that the head is also warped a bit because of the restricted water flow causing some overheating of the head. I've seen this on these skis before. Good luck either way..

+1
    hi,
    don't use loctite on head bolt. clean them and oil on the thread and under the top off the bolt.
    have you check the oil cooler ??? this is probably where the oil/water mix happen.

now you have the head off you need to take it to a machine shop to make it flat . don't mount it back like that , if the motor as overheated . 15f head are known not to handle overheating well.

By the way you need to unmount all valves to make the head flat.
    check valve seat , valve corrosion and off course change all the valves gasket.

I measured the head with a straight edge and a 1.5 thousands wouldn't fit. Im still thinking about getting it cleaned up a bit. cly 2 exhaust valves were stuck open had to tap lightly for them to go back into the head. Im thinking that would explain why I was getting more water out of the exhaust vs turbine. would the cleaner CLR be a good thing to let the cooling passages soak in a lil bit so I can get rid of the salt. and I wana clean the block out as well but getting it heat tanked would require full disassembly which isn't necessary. I just wana break down that salt as much as possible. (auto parts washer didn't really do anything to the salt).

+1
    to clean the salt just buy some spirit vinager . cheap and amazingly effective .

Have you check your oil cooler ?

haven't checked cooler yet keep forgetting big sockets at work. hate doing stuff at home always need something that's at work in the tool box.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information