Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Newbie review of the 2014 FZS SVHO, and a question or two...

There she is. I'm not sure if one can adequately describe this sexy machine with words, but I'm going to try.

Riding this beast is a delicate blend of HOLY SHIT and HOLD ON FOR DEAR LIFE. It's embarrassing how fast this thing is. It feels better than morphine. Going full speed on a flat lake and then pulling a 180 going the other direction was more fun than my honeymoon.

I've got an engineering background, but I really have to take my hat off to Yamaha and the rest of the PWC community for pushing performance vehicles to this level at this price point. I can only imagine a new Lamborghini might be more fun, but at this price point there's no argument to be made. If you have the money, go out and buy this thing. Just make sure you fully understand what it is that you're getting into.

So, a few questions:

1) Exactly how important is keeping bilge out? From what I've read, I get a little paranoid about letting this thing sit in the water without running for too long. Naturally I'd like to protect my "investment".

2) I could have sworn during the first 4 hours that I heard the thing beeping at me (it's kind of hard to tell at 70mph). Am I imagining things or should I be worried about something there?

3) During the break-in period, there were two times where I noticed that power seemed to drop off for a rev or two, but then "snap" back into place. Is that a normal part of break-in, or did I perhaps have something stuck against the intake? (I'm on a pretty clean freshwater lake)

4) I could swear I hear what sounds like fast, loose chains are running during moderate to high RPM's. I assume what I'm hearing is the supercharger. Is that something to worry about?

5) What's the deal with ethanol? Why do "they" call it crapthanol?

Thanks again to everyone here, and I'll see you at the lake!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10155935_10154110175480203_4471890182703328671_n.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	329424

+1
    was more fun than my honeymoon... wow lol

Yeah, well, I'm divorced so I can get away with saying that now, lol.

But seriously, why didn't anyone tell me sooner that these things accelerate and maneuver better than anything else I've ever heard of? All you kids who mod these things to go even faster are crazy. I love you, but you're fucking crazy.

+1
    1. It's important to keep the bilge empty unless you want to fish it from the bottom of the lake. Letting it sit in the water without running is not a problem unless you have a leak.
    2. If it was beeping, you would know it. It's loud. I hear mine at well over 70 with a free flow exhaust.
    3. The power drop you felt was probably the limiter kicking in.
    4. Not sure without hearing it. Could be anything from the hood rattling to the supercharger.
    5. Ethanol fuels do not burn as efficiently as regular fuel.

Glad you like your new ski. Those of us with earlier years put a lot of time and money in them to get the performanceof the SVHO.

Quote Originally Posted by 64physhy View Post
    Glad you like your new ski. Those of us with earlier years put a lot of time and money in them to get the performanceof the SVHO.
    Which is why I think the whole industry owes those of you who've done that a lot of gratitude.

The power drop was NOT the limiter, it was a hesitation along with intermittent shudders in the rev-up. Unless the limiter just decided to freak out all of a sudden, and only on two separate occasions, or perhaps was programmed to do so (which I highly doubt) I don't agree with your guess. Both times finally working my way to a WOT seemed to "pop" things back into place (I was trying to keep RPM under 5k), although I admit I let it idle for few seconds in case something was caught in the intake.

+1
    Don't know what that would be. I hope it's just because it's still tight and needs broke in, and not something serious. We're you running e fuel through it?

93 octane, probably had ethanol in it. Engine is too young for that to be a factor IMHO. I didn't realize that might be such a big deal, but honestly I hadn't thought much about the chemistry of it. In my mind I figured it was rings and screws that needed to be set, which is why I idled, then kicked it a bit, which seemed to put things into place. I had always thought "breaking in" was somewhat of a idiom but I don't have much experience with watercraft and hadn't thought about it much until now. What I'm really worried about is a faulty part (most likely in the supercharger I'd imagine) that will wear out early. While I can get it covered by warranty by beating the shit out of it, I'm more concerned about the longer-termed side effects such a part might contribute to. It's difficult to go to my dealer with "it runs, but it sounds funny" unless I have concrete evidence of what's going on. Maybe somebody at Yamaha has a schematic I could look at? It sounds like an old rusty bearing, or maybe a loose chain or a sprocket rattling in my supercharger? I don't mind breaking out my own tools or submitting my watercraft for "evidence" if it helps the cause.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by geosh View Post
    93 octane, probably had ethanol in it. Engine is too young for that to be a factor IMHO. I didn't realize that might be such a big deal, but honestly I hadn't thought much about the chemistry of it. In my mind I figured it was rings and screws that needed to be set, which is why I idled, then kicked it a bit, which seemed to put things into place. I had always thought "breaking in" was somewhat of a idiom but I don't have much experience with watercraft and hadn't thought about it much until now. What I'm really worried about is a faulty part (most likely in the supercharger I'd imagine) that will wear out early. While I can get it covered by warranty by beating the shit out of it, I'm more concerned about the longer-termed side effects such a part might contribute to. It's difficult to go to my dealer with "it runs, but it sounds funny" unless I have concrete evidence of what's going on. Maybe somebody at Yamaha has a schematic I could look at? It sounds like an old rusty bearing, or maybe a loose chain or a sprocket rattling in my supercharger? I don't mind breaking out my own tools or submitting my watercraft for "evidence" if it helps the cause.
    At what speeds and rpms are you hearing the sounds? Acceleration or deceleration?

Lesson learned though -- next craft I get is getting broken in on 100% gas. I assume that's probably what "they" do their lab tests with.

I dunno. Maybe I'm imagining things and everything is fine. Just giving my 102 per cents.

Quote Originally Posted by BLACKSTI View Post
    At what speeds and rpms are you hearing the sounds? Acceleration or deceleration?
    Idle I hear nothing. It's pretty much maybe 45k and above I hear the bicycle chain. I don't have much experience with watercraft or superchargers so it may be normal. That coupled with the whole sudden fast-but-dead syndrome (which, mind you, only happened briefly twice during break-in!) makes me think I may have broken a sprocket tooth or a bearing fell out or something, even if everything went back to normal.

I may be overreacting about the whole thing. the past 2 of my 3.7 hours on this thing were flawless and unbelievable. My experiences may be normal and expected, I just don't have much scientific data to go by. What I've experienced may be "perfect" from the standpoint of the engineers who designed it, perhaps cheap bearings needed to be busted into spheres. Maybe the sounds I'm hearing just means it's working right.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information