+1

Steering Issue on Msx 140

Hey everyone, Just got my msx 140 in the water yesterday. Seemed to run pretty good after all the fogging oil and old gas in the lines got burned off! Hit 61 (on the speedo) on calm water with old plugs and gas that still has stabilizer in it.

However it seems that steering, namely the handle bars are tough to steer. I think it may be the steering cable or handle bar bearing doesn't have any good grease left in it because it feels very "frictiony" when steering. The steering works, its just not very fluid anymore.

Does the steering cable typically need replacement after a certain period of time? Is there a spot on the handlebar bearing that I can put grease into? ( I tried applying some marine grease on the parts I could see moving when rotating the handle bars, but that didn't really help).

Thanks!

Banned User
    +1
    The cables do need to be lubricated occasionally. Also check the length of the cable for kinks or if it has been crushed. Disconnect it at the jet pump end and see if its the nozzle or cable binding. Its most likely the cable.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    The cables do need to be lubricated occasionally. Also check the length of the cable for kinks or if it has been crushed. Disconnect it at the jet pump end and see if its the nozzle or cable binding. Its most likely the cable.
    Roger that, ill check that out! If it is the cable, is there a specific way to lubricate it? Or do I need to replace it?

Thanks for the reply!

+1
    When my buddy and I were out on the water today the steering cable on the msx snapped near the jet pump nozzle. I think what was happening was the braided cable had been fraying overtime, which was causing the friction when trying to turn, and just snapped.

So before I go buying a new cable, I wanted to feel out the forum and see if anyone on here happens to have a spare steering cable for an '04 msx 140 for sale, either new or used.

Thread Information