Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2002 Virage i wont start

tries to start, and will not run when I let off start button. Could this be a problem with EMM not providing power to the injectors?
    Last edited by weaklem; 05-15-2014 at 04:43 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

What do you mean by 'tries to start'?

If you hold the Start button down does it actually run and respond to throttle? Don't overdo it or you can damage the starter.

The Ficht fuel injection system is very different from a typical automotive fuel injector. The diagnostics are also different.

On these engines everything is controlled by the large EMM module. If the EMM has internal problems or it is not receiving proper voltages and signals from the sensors the engine will not work properly.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by weaklem
    ... Should I start with checking voltage to the injectors when trying to start it?

Thanks again for your help!
    Certainly it wouldn't hurt to check the injector voltage feed.

With both injectors plugged in, red meter probe to White/Red wire and Black meter probe to engine ground or battery negative. Injector voltage should rise to 20 volts when cranking and then jump to near 45 volts when the engine starts.

Any White/Red wire will do, wherever you can find a splice or place to connect your meter probe.

It will not start unless I prime with fuel. Then it will start and respond to the throttle until fuel is gone. Also when I start it this way it stops immediately when I let off start button

Checked voltage to injectors. Getting almost 40 when starting. It will not start unless I prime with fuel. Then it will start and respond to the throttle until fuel is gone. Also when I start it this way it stops immediately when I let off start button

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by weaklem View Post
    Checked voltage to injectors. Getting almost 40 when starting.

It will not start unless I prime with fuel. Then it will start and respond to the throttle until fuel is gone.

Also when I start it this way it stops immediately when I let off start button
    Bypass the LR-503 Start/Stop module. See if that allows it to run after you let off the Start button.

tried by pass via your procedure disconnecting 503 module and shorting red wires at solenoid. No luck.

just checked schrader valve on fuel line. It does not appear to have any pressure. Can I use a regular tire gauge to check this? I used your procedure to check fuel pump (grounded brown line to pump ) and it appears the pump is not working at all
    Last edited by weaklem; 05-16-2014 at 05:45 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by weaklem View Post
    just checked schrader valve on fuel line. It does not appear to have any pressure. Can I use a regular tire gauge to check this?
    Well, you can, but consider the tire gauge to be ruined afterwards. The insides of a tire pressure gauge are not designed to be exposed to gasoline. A proper fuel pressure gauge is not that expensive.

Check the circuit breakers. There is a separate pop-up 'Reset button' for the electric fuel pump. Both are located near the battery, with small clear plastic domes to protect them from water.

The fuel pump should always have battery power at the power feed pin. There is a Brown wire on the opposite side of the wire harness connector that runs directly from the fuel pump connector to the EMM. When the EMM wants to run the fuel pump it grounds the Brown wire.

+1
    I second the circuit breakers on top of the battery. I had mine at the ramp a couple weekends ago and she wouldn't start. I had no pressure at the schrader valve. I pulled the breaker and hit it with a meter. No continuity. No bueno. I used a jumper wire and the ski cranked up on the first try. Now I have to get a new breaker.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information