Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1

    2001 Genesis i (Ficht Direct Injection) - Poor Low-end Performance

    Thanks to this forum, I've been able to completely rebuild the top end and some other damaged parts such as stator/flywheel. I just got done with the rebuild and broke in the new pistons. However, I am still experiencing poor low end performance.

    When engine is cold, the ski starts right up and after bogging on low-end rpm's, it takes off at about 1/2 - 3/4 throttle and runs great. (Fresh fuel, good fuel pressure, good compression, no clogs or kinked lines). Once the ski is warmed up and i bring it down to idle, it will shut off most of the time, and I have to toggle the gas while cranking to get it started again. MFI display is dead, so I cant look at any codes. I suspected the TPS at first, but have read that if you disconnect it(assuming is was faulty), it should crank right up and idle fine, but simply wont respond to any throttle increase. I did this and still have the same issue getting it started. I dont know how accurate this "diagnostic" is. Can I rule out the TPS? I've also read you cant do an ohms test on the newer TPS's. I've attached a pic so you can see which model i have.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TPS.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	329588

    Other suspects (from what I've read) are fuel injector voltage and timing. Please advise as to the first steps I should take to diagnose this problem. Any help is greatly appreciated!


  2. #2
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,579
    +1
    1,272
    Not all EMM will allow the engine to run without the TPS connected. You can replace the old style non-pigtail TPS with a new and upgraded pigtail style TPS, or you can source alternate non-Polaris non-pigtial TPS.

    I suggest you disconnect the dead MFI display connector and install the security bypass jumper. Sometimes a dead display will cause weird stuff to happen.

    When you installed the flywheel did you use a genuine Polaris woodruff key or a generic piece? Generic keys can shear much more easily than the OEM part. Incorrect flywheel timing would cause trouble, of course.

    Does the engine work properly at full throttle? Without a working display you will be guessing on RPM, of course.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

    I suggest you disconnect the dead MFI display connector and install the security bypass jumper. Sometimes a dead display will cause weird stuff to happen. I do not have the bypass enabled. I will put that in, and run it this afternoon and see what results we get.

    When you installed the flywheel did you use a genuine Polaris woodruff key or a generic piece? Generic keys can shear much more easily than the OEM part. Incorrect flywheel timing would cause trouble, of course. I did everything by the book here and used the same key that was on there originally...it was in mint condition. The CPS was a little scuffed with lots of magnetic debris from flywheel, but i cleaned it up and it ohms tested ok.....could this still be suspect?

    Does the engine work properly at full throttle? Without a working display you will be guessing on RPM, of course. Engine runs perfect over about 5/8 throttle. WOT is smooth and fast also.
    See above

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by aussinole View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Does the engine work properly at full throttle? Without a working display you will be guessing on RPM, of course. Engine runs perfect over about 5/8 throttle. WOT is smooth and fast also.
    See above
    d

  5. #5
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,579
    +1
    1,272
    Can you measure injector voltage on White/Red wires, with all injectors plugged in?

    Voltage should be stable right near 45 volts from idle all the way up. If the injector voltage is weak or unstable between idle and mid-range that is a problem, usually caused by the EMM power section.

  6. #6
    I ran it today with the MFI bypass, and something new occurred. All of a sudden, i lost a significant amount of power, and when i brought it down to idle, the idle was very high (im guessing about 2,800 rpms). When i unplugged the TPS, it returned to normal idle, and sputtered a little bit and shut off. Also, I removed the bypass and installed the broken MFI again, and that didnt affect the issue at all. I was unable to bring it up to a plane...WOT and it was just BOG, BOG, BOG.

    I am not a pro or anything, but I am almost certain I need a new TPS....it just seemed like it. Do you agree?

  7. #7
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,579
    +1
    1,272
    Quote Originally Posted by aussinole View Post
    I ran it today with the MFI bypass, and something new occurred. All of a sudden, i lost a significant amount of power, and when i brought it down to idle, the idle was very high (im guessing about 2,800 rpms). When i unplugged the TPS, it returned to normal idle, and sputtered a little bit and shut off. Also, I removed the bypass and installed the broken MFI again, and that didnt affect the issue at all. I was unable to bring it up to a plane...WOT and it was just BOG, BOG, BOG.

    I am not a pro or anything, but I am almost certain I need a new TPS....it just seemed like it. Do you agree?
    If it was me I would install a new TPS. A bad TPS can cause all sorts of weird symptoms and confound diagnostics.

    And there is no workaround for a bad TPS other than installing a good one.

  8. #8
    Cool. I ordered one and should have it in the next few days. I'll update this thread with the results I find. Thanks for the advice!

  9. #9
    So I got the new TPS in, and took it out for a test run....with odd results. The ski basically still has the same issue....poor low-end performance/bogging. However, the one thing the TPS did solve is that when i bring it down to idle after running high RPMs, it will continue to run, instead of sputtering and shutting off like it did before. For some reason, the poor performance tends to become more apparent once the engine is warmed up.

    What diagnostic do you suggest from here? I know you mentioned before, to test the injector voltage....

  10. #10
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,579
    +1
    1,272
    Quote Originally Posted by aussinole View Post
    So I got the new TPS in, and took it out for a test run....with odd results. The ski basically still has the same issue....poor low-end performance/bogging.

    However, the one thing the TPS did solve is that when i bring it down to idle after running high RPMs, it will continue to run, instead of sputtering and shutting off like it did before.

    For some reason, the poor performance tends to become more apparent once the engine is warmed up.

    What diagnostic do you suggest from here? I know you mentioned before, to test the injector voltage....
    That would be helpful. Weak injector voltage will cause problems.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2001 Polaris Genesis i Ficht Fuel Injection -- Software Help
    By aussinole in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-03-2013, 06:37 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-13-2011, 11:25 PM
  3. 97 GTX Poor Low Speed Performance.
    By JohnCiccarelli in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-30-2010, 07:08 AM
  4. parts for 2001 gtx limited with direct injection!
    By PAUL SERPICO in forum Sea Doo Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-15-2008, 05:15 PM
  5. 97 gtx poor low end
    By waterskipper in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-01-2008, 11:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •