Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

2002 Virage TXi Low compression one cylinder

Hello, I have a 2002 virage txi. Front and middle cylinders have 120 psi. Rear has 100 psi. I just bought it. Runs good in driveway. Havent had it in the water yet. Any suggestions about the low compression? Thanks!

My 2002 genesis is getting almost the same, and I'm hoping on a answer as will hoping is not another ring. That happen to me last year. Melted to the piston

+1
    Travis, Im guessing i have to pull the head and take a look. Just wanted to hear it from someone who know more than I do.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Harsax13 View Post
    Travis, Im guessing i have to pull the head and take a look. Just wanted to hear it from someone who know more than I do.
    From another thread;
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by travis ingram View Post
    Cool. So are you saying go in or leave it to see if there any big change
    If you do not inspect then you are simply gambling that whatever the problem cause is will not get worse or cause further damage.

For example if the problem is a broken piston then there is a possibility of pieces becoming jammed and bending the connecting rod when the engine seizes while running.

From here I cannot tell you what is wrong with your engine. If it was my own engine I would be taking it apart enough to inspect and determine the cause(s).

+1
    I looked up the Virage txi compression ratio. It is 6.5:1/ 6.5:1/ 6.2:1 (Mag, Ctr, PTO). The PTO cylinder has a different compression ratio. Maybe the PTO cylinder is designed to have lower compression. I couldn't find actual factory compression numbers. Anyone have info on this? Thanks!

+1
    I looked up the Virage txi compression ratio. It is 6.5:1/ 6.5:1/ 6.2:1 (Mag, Ctr, PTO). The PTO cylinder has a different compression ratio. Maybe the PTO cylinder is designed to have lower compression. I couldn't find actual factory compression numbers. Anyone have info on this? Thanks!
    Which model year are those specs from?

Which manual did you find them in?

This was for Virage TXi not Genesis i, correct?

+1
    K4, I used an official 2003 Polaris shop manual. The specs were for a 2003 Genesis i. I assumed it was the same motor as 2002 txi. Does compression ratio have anything to do with actual compression psi? Would it be normal for PTO cylinder to have less psi for some reason? Should i open up the head and take a look or go for a ride and see how it runs on water? Thanks much.

+1
    Update, I pulled the head. Everything looks prrfect. Cylinder walls, top of piston, head etc. There wasnt even much carbon. The larger head O-ring looked like it had been pinched. I put it all together making sure o-ring was installed properly. Did compression test, same results, 95 psi. Im thinking about running it and seeing what happens. Maybe put some Marvel Mystery Oil in it and see is it somehow works.

+1
    I think with 100/95 comp your going to need to do a top end rebuild running it could cause more problems.

+1
    K4, I used an official 2003 Polaris shop manual. The specs were for a 2003 Genesis i. I assumed it was the same motor as 2002 txi.

Does compression ratio have anything to do with actual compression psi? Would it be normal for PTO cylinder to have less psi for some reason? Should i open up the head and take a look or go for a ride and see how it runs on water? Thanks much.
    I recall (and have not checked the parts cross reference) that the Genesis did use a lower compression PTO cylinder head. There was a even a retrofit Service Bulletin special cylinder head issued for the earlier Genesis FFI. I do not think it was used on the Virage TXi.

Eventually my understanding is that the exhaust manifold was revised and this corrected the problem so the lower compression cylinder head was not needed anymore. If you look at the Genesis i part numbers for the exhaust manifold you can see it was revised a couple of times right around 2003 and 2004.

Check the part numbers for your Virage TXi model and year, both cylinders and heads. If all three use the same part numbers then they should have the same compression.

The Polaris Industries official parts diagrams and cross reference is free online. Links can be found via my signature info.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information