Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I finally got ONE!!! ;) RXT-260-DOO's Avatar
    +1

B.E.S.T. Warranty

I am debating really hard on buying the 4 year warranty for both my Sparks. When picking up the Sparks, I asked about installing free flow exhaust and cold air intake. The service department manager said those would void the warranty and that I should wait to install till after the warranty expires. Can they void the warranty for those two items? I live 2 hours from my dealer so it will be a minimum 4 hour trip to take them in. Most likely 8 hours of driving, what dealer gets them in and out same day? I want to mod one of my ski's to the hilt so I wonder if it's really worth it?

What say you, would you buy in my situation?

Tiny, as a dealer, what insights do you have for dealers denying coverage.

TIA,
    Jeremy

+1
    If you want to mod your skis, don't bother purchasing the extended warranty. With that said, you might want to consider enjoying your skis for as long as possible and then moving on to something else. The Spark was never meant to go fast in a straight line and you'll never get back whatever money you put into it. You are obviously free to do what you like, my perspective is simply one from someone who has yet to lose money on a ski.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SCHNORR12 View Post
    If you want to mod your skis, don't bother purchasing the extended warranty. With that said, you might want to consider enjoying your skis for as long as possible and then moving on to something else. The Spark was never meant to go fast in a straight line and you'll never get back whatever money you put into it. You are obviously free to do what you like, my perspective is simply one from someone who has yet to lose money on a ski.
    Already had a go fast/straight line ski. It didn't suit me. I live at 8000 feet of elevation, so I need all the power I can get, thus the mods... my 90 is probably worse than a 60 at sea level.

Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by RXT-260-DOO View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SCHNORR12 View Post
    Already had a go fast/straight line ski. It didn't suit me. I live at 8000 feet of elevation, so I need all the power I can get, thus the mods... my 90 is probably worse than a 60 at sea level.

Thanks for your input.
    i was surprised. At 5000 ft, it had less punch than at sea level, but did top out at 47 mph on the gps speedometer

+1
    Ive found the BEST warranty is good mostly for recalls- most dealers try to find a way about covering a lot of problems thru the warranty.

I live about 1hr 20 minutes from my dealer and if i call them ahead of time they will do everything while i wait. Took it a couple saturdays ago and had it serviced, programmed new keys and installed depth finder while i waited( 3 hrs labor)

+1
    Sorry I am late to the party....Technically ANY mod will void the warranty...But then again the same thing goes for the automotive world too... Did you know that if you have a 4 wheel drive vehicle and take it off road, your warranty is void???

Anyways, This is why I have always said to be nice to the dealer...Develop a good relationship with them...They can go the extra mile for you in needed....

7. +1 by:

+1
    My favorite exclusion, a buddy of mine bought a Nissan GT-R track edition last year and the warranty expressly voids if you run it on the track! LOL

Perhaps some study on the magnuson-moss warranty act is needed.. Dealers can't arbitrarily void your warranty... They can try to deny you cause they think you will pay outa pocket which is more profit for them vs manufacturer reimbursement

10. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Sorry I am late to the party....Technically ANY mod will void the warranty...But then again the same thing goes for the automotive world too... Did you know that if you have a 4 wheel drive vehicle and take it off road, your warranty is void???

Anyways, This is why I have always said to be nice to the dealer...Develop a good relationship with them...They can go the extra mile for you in needed....
    I hear ya Tiny, but it is hard to have a relationship with the dealer when they are 2 hours away. Plus the only time they would ever touch my ski's is if/when they need warranty work or software updates. Any tips in this situation? Plus I am a DIY kind of guy, already have the shop manual so no need to talk to service dept. I won't be buying anything from them except for oil chang kits, if that... Maybe buy the warranty for the Spark that will not be modified and not worry about the modded one. Hmmm...

Everyone needs to decide what's best for them, having said that. My son and I both got the BEST 4 year warranty for our Sparks.

Reason being,
    New Dealer - Wanted to find one closer to our cottage up north, also they were the only ones that had what we wanted. I have heard good things about them, but we'll see for ourselves. They have been great so far in answering our questions and giving 20% (could be the norm for most dealers) off on accessories. They also know that we are looking at get new sleds this winter.
    New Model Ski - These are our first ski's we have owned, but these are also BRAND NEW. Having had snowmobiles since the late 1960's and seeing what has happened with first year models, no matter what brand. We felt it might be good to get the extended warranty. Not saying there is anything wrong with the Sparks, just never know.
    Helps in resale if we ever decide to sell - We bought these as we wanted to enjoy our lake. We're not into fishing and a pontoon would get boring on a small lake after a while. We do kayak around the lake and rivers. Our plan is to keep them forever as they are a great value and our kids could use them when they come up.
    Another reason we bought the Sparks especially the 900HO, is because like stated above we are looking at some new snowmobiles. I had my eye on a Ski Doo Renegade 900 which would have the same motor as the Sparks.

Like I said it's up to the individual, but for us an extended warranty was worth getting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information