Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Cooper Anchor Setup?

My DH and I are trying to set up an anchor system for our 2 Wave Runners. We've got our Cooper anchors but are having trouble finding hardware to attach lines to them. We were are Marine West, Fisherman's, and our local hardware store, but can't find anything to fit through the hole on the tip of the anchor. Closest we came to finding a fit was a shackle, but the pin didn't quite thread on all the way.

If you use a Cooper anchor, what setup do you have? Pictures and links would be an amazing help!
    Last edited by JGM; 05-17-2014 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Typo

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I think I ended up drilling the factory hole in my Cooper anchors just a tad larger so the pin from a standard shackle would fit through.

Will you be using a few feet of anchor chain rode or just rope?

Thanks for your reply, K447. Drilling won't compromise the integrity of the anchor? That would be an easy fix! We were hoping to not have to mess around with chain and just attach rope, but I don't know if it will hold up. We want to be able to anchor in both lakes and the Columbia River.

+1
    I drilled it also. It was very slight to fit the shackle. It did not compromise the strength at all. I have even used the anchor for my boat just to see if it would hold. I had 6 foot of chain and the anchor held my 20 foot boat.

Perfect! I'll tell hubby to drill.

Since this is our first time attempting to anchor, what would you suggest to secure the other end of the the pwc so it doesn't get pushed up onto the beach? Our plan was to attach the Cooper to the bow and something else to the stern, possibly one of those corkscrew anchors?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by JGM View Post
    Perfect! I'll tell hubby to drill.

Since this is our first time attempting to anchor, what would you suggest to secure the other end of the the pwc so it doesn't get pushed up onto the beach?

Our plan was to attach the Cooper to the bow and something else to the stern, possibly one of those corkscrew anchors?
    The hole in the Cooper anchor only needs to be enlarged a small amount. Do not make the hole excessively large, you want it just barely large enough to allow the smallest shackle that will fit to pass through the hole.

Effective anchoring is a whole subject on its own. Common errors include using much too short an anchor line (too little 'scope' for the anchor rope) and not properly planning the anchoring (wrong anchor location, wrong type of anchor for the bottom material, etc).

The reason for the chain is to provide some weight close to the anchor so the pull from the boat is closer to horizontal at the anchor. It only takes a few feet of chain to provide enough weight to allow the anchor to hold well.

Even with some chain you still need plenty of anchor rope length (called scope) to ensure the anchor is not pulled upwards by waves, wind or current against the boat. I suggest stainless steel chain as it will not rust. Galvanized chain is OK but not my preference.

I sometimes use a long elastic Anchor Buddy 'rope' between the anchor and the watercraft. Essentially a really long bungie cord inside, it allows the hull to tug and pull without jarring the anchor out of position.

Then on the other end of the craft (but both could be on the bow if that works better) I attach a regular dock line back to a beach spike. I can then pull the watercraft towards shore by pulling on the dock line, which causes the stretch line from the anchor to extend.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=1#post2296095

http://www.slideanchor.com/Hlm_ShopI...7-B60063F1BC4E

http://www.danbullard.com/dan/anchor_buddy.html

What I would add (and do use myself) are bright colored large floats attached to the anchor rope. And sometimes a shorter rope going straight up from the anchor. The floats warn other boats and people that there are ropes in the water. If you want to leave the anchor in place while you go for a ride, having floats makes it easy to find and reconnect with your anchoring lines when you return.
    Last edited by K447; 05-18-2014 at 12:31 AM.

Homer, AK, D.F., MEX., Now San Antonio, TX
    +1
    GL, is the Anchor Buddy safe?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    GL, is the Anchor Buddy safe?
    I personally have never used one. I would think it may be better than just two ropes because of the flex. With just two ropes as I uses I have had waves pass and pull the anchor. These would keep the constant pressure and keep out the slack and jerk motion if a set of waves come through. I think now that I had to abalone this to answer your question I just convinced myself to buy one. On my offshore fishing boat I do have a rubber strap incorporated into my hang off line I secure to the oil platform to relieve shock only cleat. So I guess I already do use a home made version. Yep I think I recommend it.

+1
    I use a 4ft chain and rope and have no issues holding two skis....

Homer, AK, D.F., MEX., Now San Antonio, TX
    +1
    I was just wondering about possibly snapping and hurting someone. Thanks, I'll try it. I could use that a lot.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information