Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    I'd rather be riding!

1100 ZXi Engine won't turn over when plugs are installed??? Help

Need some advice from the many experts on here.

Jet ski will turn over well with spark plugs removed, but only turns over once or twice with plugs in the machine.

I've tried a different battery with the same results.

Some History -- I rebuilt the ski last season--rebuilt cam, bored, new top end. Rode it about 5 times after the rebuild. On the last time out, the ski quit and nothing would happen when you pushed the start button.

I thought maybe I had lost a piston or the engine had locked up. Took plugs out and tried to start, but no luck. Turned over by hand and no problem.

Got busy and put the ski up and hadn't looked at it again until this week. When I tried to start it, nothing happened when I hit the start button.

I thought the starter relay was bad--opened the box and it was moist, so dried it out, cleaned all connectors, tested starter relay, and it was good. Reassembled and the ski turns over well with the plugs out, but will only turn over a little with the plugs in.

Really puzzled and hope someone on here can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for any help.

+1
    Not sure what kind of cam you have in a ZXi...

Look for loose/dirty connections on battery cables (don't forget the ground cable on the engine block.

I'd rather be riding!
    Thanks Steve, you are correct, should have said Crankshaft vs cam.
    I removed and cleaned all the battery connections, but will check again.

It won't turn over with even 1 pug installed. It is almost like a hydrolock, but there is nothing in the cyclinders.

Is it possible something is clogging the exhaust somewhere?

Keith

+1
    No, exhaust won't cause that.

Did you ever figure out why it quit running last year?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jkv1216 View Post
    Need some advice from the many experts on here.

Jet ski will turn over well with spark plugs removed, but only turns over once or twice with plugs in the machine.

I've tried a different battery with the same results.

Some History -- I rebuilt the ski last season--rebuilt cam, bored, new top end. Rode it about 5 times after the rebuild. On the last time out, the ski quit and nothing would happen when you pushed the start button.

I thought maybe I had lost a piston or the engine had locked up. Took plugs out and tried to start, but no luck. Turned over by hand and no problem.

Got busy and put the ski up and hadn't looked at it again until this week. When I tried to start it, nothing happened when I hit the start button.

I thought the starter relay was bad--opened the box and it was moist, so dried it out, cleaned all connectors, tested starter relay, and it was good. Reassembled and the ski turns over well with the plugs out, but will only turn over a little with the plugs in.

Really puzzled and hope someone on here can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Can you turn engine by hand with plugs in, if ok, have you checked voltage drop of battery and relay contacts under load, if ok, have starter motor checked by auto electrician. Or if you know how you can check current draw of starter (this will help determine if starter or engine is causing the problem )

I'd rather be riding!
    Steve -- Never figured out why it quit last year -- got cold and I got busy--just got back to it.

Ange -- I put DC Voltmeter leads across the battery while cranking. No significant drop with plugs out, but drops several volts when plugs are in. I swapped batteries to see if the battery was bad under load. 2nd battery gave similar results but with less voltage drop.

I guess my next step will be to remove the starter and test it -- but not sure how to test under a load??

+1
    Hook jumper cables (or booster pack) directly to the terminals on the starter. Be careful, it will spark, but it should crank the engine with plugs in.

I'd rather be riding!
    Thanks Steve. I'll try the booster as soon as I get back home--work trip to India this week

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jkv1216 View Post
    Steve -- Never figured out why it quit last year -- got cold and I got busy--just got back to it.

Ange -- I put DC Voltmeter leads across the battery while cranking. No significant drop with plugs out, but drops several volts when plugs are in. I swapped batteries to see if the battery was bad under load. 2nd battery gave similar results but with less voltage drop.

I guess my next step will be to remove the starter and test it -- but not sure how to test under a load??
    Check if engine has a good earth.
    Connect volt meter between the negative battery post and the body of starter motor (while trying to starter engine) voltage should be below .5 volt (if higher, there is most likely an bad earth)

If above is Ok and engine turns ok by hand, battery and relay check ok the only thing left is the starter.

Best to remove starter motor and have it checked by a professional. (Doesn't cost much to check and should be nil cost if they supply C/O unit or repair yours)

Good luck
    Last edited by ange5583; 05-18-2014 at 11:51 PM.

I'd rather be riding!
    So, Finally made it back to working on my Zxi. Today after I pulled the engine, I was blowing out the engine mount holes. I accidentally blew air into the muffler and water flew out. I stuck my hand down into the muffler and it was full of water.
    Pretty sure this is why the engine wouldn't turn over?
    Now the big question-- What would cause the muffler to fill up with water?
    Thanks in advance for your help on this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information