Lightbulb '96 Seadoo XP. 2 beeps but no start

Hi,
    Just gone to dust off the 96 xp for the start of the season - clear the winterising etc.

battery on, 2 beeps, display lights up as it should.
    hit the start button, nothing!

tried again, nothing.

put new battery on the ski, key on, 2 beeps (NO display)
    thought i heard a noise from the rear, near the battery, almost like a thermal cut out going off.

Now, i still get the 2 beeps, the 4 red LED's on the display flash for for an instant - nothing on the display at all.

Push start button and nothing

I've checked the one fuse in the rear box on the ski, and the 2 fuses in the forward end of the ski - All clean, bright connections and not popped.

anyone able to help me out please?

Thanks.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    likely the solenoid, the older ones had an issue with water intrusion.(older ones had a riveted bottomplate that didn't seal very well and condensation would eventuall ruin iit.

you could try a few taps on the electric box with a rubber mallet while hitting the starter button

use search to find more long term troubleshooting and repair methods

Thanks for the reply,
    I'll try and get down the garage to look before work - I also tried searching for the problem previous to my OP, but I've not come up with anything useful so far!

+1
    If you're not getting a "click/clunk" sound from the solenoid then it's probably dead - they're not expensive to replace

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by LVC View Post
    they're not expensive to replace

well that depends on how carful you are working in the electric vault. always disconnect the battery before venturing in there. take some pics that will show where everything goes. Get the right part...universals or "that will work" often do not fit well..and that leads to trouble

+1
    Funny, just had friend we will just call him penny pitcher, I helped diagnose same problem, even hooked up meter to solenoid and applied power to show him it was not tripping. Dealer priced him oem in stock like 80 bucks...he brought back something he bought at a auto parts store that looked similar for 15 bucks.

After cutting mounts off, had to cut the posts down, make ring terminal jumpers to use factory bullet connectors, use two sided tape to hold it to the box...it worked but I would have charged him an hour Labour so it would have been more expensive.
    Also had copper posts original were stainless and while sealed in a box may not matter,I suspect it will fail sooner than later.

+1 on removing battery cables first and foremost...nothing like playing the game operation inside the electrical box

+1
    have the pics on an old cellphone somewhere , I had a guy come in with a Yamaha w/r 95 with a ford starter solenoid lag bolted directly to the fuel tank. Somebody thought It would be easier to cut the cables where they went into the electric. Needless to say, it got fixed up all original, and for a pretty penny too..Yamaha stuff is pretty pricey.

+1
    Check the + and - large battery cables too.

Thread Information