RXTScott

removing traction pads.

I want to install a set of Hydroturf traction pads on my RXT. The OEM ones are shrinking.

What is the easiest way to remove the old ones and remove the glue?

There is no easy way. Lots of time, elbow grease and acetone.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    i JUST took mine off last weekend on my RXT. they peeled up no problem. it didn't take too much time removing the glue, it's like glass now tho! my ski is spotless, waxed, and without mats and it kinda looks sharp! not a spec of glue or fading to be found anywhere.

on the flat parts of the hull deck, i splashed laquer thinner on it and used a sharp razer blade and it came right up... just keep razor blading in ther same direction and then you will get a PILE of gummy nasty glue.. wipe on towel and keep on scrapin.

on the other parts down the footwells... i splashed laquer thinner all over as well, let it absord a bit, and then used course rag and rubbed and rubbed and rubbed, razor blade when i could, but noit easy bc the footwells aren't perfectly flast and the glue is along the edges.

in less than an hour i had the back deck spotless and the heavy stuff from the footwells clear... then before bed i sprayed WD-40 and bombardier lube everywhere there was glue left on the gelcote. woke up in the morning, wiped all the greases and lube off, then used a dry course towel and kept rubbing and the glue actually turned gummy adn rolled into balls and peeled up and iw as able to jstu brush it away.

after i got it damn near clean... i kept using a small laquer thinner SOAKED rag and rubbing the glue spots and then use a dry clean rag and quickly dry it and clean it. keep repeating like that... finish up with a good cleaner hand wax. will come out awesome and spotless.

check my link jsut below this for pics of my mats shrinking AND peeling up and all the glue. I take pics of EVERYTHING

Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar
    I guess when you take off the 03 mats there's holes? It looks like there's some kind of pins holding them down.

Shibby

I tried looking up that jsut word and cant find it in the dictionary. Thats too funny how many different ways you spell that word!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RustySeaRustyDoo
    Shibby

I tried looking up that jsut word and cant find it in the dictionary. Thats too funny how many different ways you spell that word!!
    LMAO!!! i know! such a bad habit.

believe it or not, back couple months ago i had someone send me an anonymous e-mail and curse me out bc of the "jsut" problem i have... along with a few other issues they had with me apparently. unbelieveable the things that piss people off! if the worst thing i do to offend someone is spell "jsut" then damn i'm goin straight to hell, haha. oh well.

+1
    damnit! i got 3 variations in that long post.... JUST, JSUT, JSTU

rough nite

miketrin, all i want for christmas is a spell checker!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 01xdime
    I guess when you take off the 03 mats there's holes? It looks like there's some kind of pins holding them down.
    These are actually blind pop rivets that hold the old style mats on. You have to drill these rivets out to get the mats off. Don't drill too deep or the rivet will fall into the hull...just deep enough to pop the head off. Seal the rivet holes up with epoxy or silicone before installing the new mats.

Richard

Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar
    Thanks Rich.

Thread Information