Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

do it yourself oil change question

09 PX, followed the procedure, sucked out about 3.75 quarts( provided the reading
    on my vacuum pump is accurate), changed out the filter, put back in 3.75 quarts, ran engine for about 1 minute, let it sit for a 30 seconds to a minute, check level
    and its barely on the dip stick. Ended up putting in the whole gallon of Seadoo
    engine oil trying to get the level right. with the whole gallon in there its barely to
    the first bend, how is that poosible??

+1
    Hmmmm. I'm sure you changed the filter as well and that accounts for some additional oil...but that sounds
    weird.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrseadude View Post
    09 PX, followed the procedure, sucked out about 3.75 quarts( provided the reading
    on my vacuum pump is accurate), changed out the filter, put back in 3.75 quarts, ran engine for about 1 minute, let it sit for a 30 seconds to a minute, check level
    and its barely on the dip stick. Ended up putting in the whole gallon of Seadoo
    engine oil trying to get the level right. with the whole gallon in there its barely to
    the first bend, how is that poosible??
    I'd run it on the hose longer more closer to 3mins no more than 5 mins & let it sit 5 minutes to let the oil come back. Also make sure your ski is level as possible.I did mine on my double trailer using a leveler on the sides & it worked out well.

It was definitley level, i dont like running it on the hose for very long, paranoid for some reason lol. Does the oil level actually rise on the dip stick after running, as opposed to sitting for a long time?

+1
    Have you removed the intake manifold recently? Maybe the dip stick tube isn't seated fully? Idk how that could happen as It basically has to be fully seated to fit correctly between the IM and the Head.

+1
    The engine will hold 5 quarts total but you usually only suck out about 3 quarts. It could have been low to begin with but then I don't know how you would have got 3.75 out?

Same thing on my Yamaha 2012 fx ho. Removed the old oil.. 3 1/2qts. Replaced filter and added 3.25 qts as stated in the owners manual... shows I need 1/2 qt more. Whats up with that.??

Wasn't low to begin with either, I checked my oil level several times recently before the oil change. My thinking is I put in exactly, if not a little more then what I took out, so it can't be low. I didn't run the ski for 3 minutes and the. Do the oil change, I rode it on a river, then sucked the oil out after the 20 minute ride back home, maybe I got out more then normally is removed, and the level indicator on my vacuum pump isn't very accurate, who knows. I can can run it 3 minutes like a previous poster said, then check the level, see if it's different. I'm just suprised with the out come of something I thought to be a no brainer.

ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    +1
    you're right to be 'paranoid' about running your ski for a 'long period of time', as it can cook your carbon ring(seal) and then your ski sinks in a matter of seconds when it fails.

10. +1 by:

I don't want to cook the carbon seal, that's for sure! I ran it for 3 minutes on the hose, checked it 30 seconds later, still at the first bend, I was to scared to run it any longer. Guess I'll just add a little oil, recheck it, idk what else to do lol.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information