Sea doo 3d engine filling with water!!!!

I've just fully rebuilt my sea doo 3d 2004 787rfi engine. Took it for a water test and it ran fine for the first hour. Left it sat in the water for about 40 mins then returned to start it again but it wouldn't start, popped the plugs out and pressed starter to find the front cylinder full of water. Has anyone got any ideas how/where the waters getting in, I've stripped the engine but can't see anything obvious any ideas welcome. Thanks in advance

+1
    Have you got the head coolant hoses on the right way round ?

Is the exhaust gasket a new/good one as if breached this can fill various places with water?

+1
    Agreed, this is most likely caused by the manifold gasket or the pipe gasket.

Thanks for the replies, I've checked all the hoses and there all correct.

All the gaskets were new and I've taken the top end apart inc manifold/pipe gaskets but can't see any obvious
    gasket/o-ring failures.

I have checked for cracks in all over but can't find anything.

Can I pressure test the engine and exhaust to check for leaks if so what pressure is safe?

+1
    The shop manual has the pressures and procedures for a full leak test, but good luck finding the proper block off plates mentioned there.

I almost built a set of plates, but i decided it wasn't worth it so i just buy SBT instead of rebuilding on 2 strokes... they leak test them and give me a warranty.

Banned User
    +1
    Building plates is easy. All you need are some pieces of aluminum, a sheet of rubber to make gaskets, and the actual gaskets to use as templates. I made mine for about 20 bucks.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Building plates is easy. All you need are some pieces of aluminum, a sheet of rubber to make gaskets, and the actual gaskets to use as templates. I made mine for about 20 bucks.
    Show me where you can buy the aluminum to make plates for $20... show me. The sheet rubber even costs more than that...

Yeah I'm gonna make my own in exactly that way

I run a small engineering company with plenty of aluminium off cuts lying around so will only have to buy the rubber

+1
    Nice! I didn't have that luxury... lol. But if he shows me where i can buy enough aluminum plate to do this for $20 i will make myself a set...

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    you can buy this kind of stuff very reasonable from a number of the metal companies on the web.

say you wanted a 12x12 bit of 3/16 aluminum ....

190 (3/16) thick 6061-T651 Aluminum Plate $22.75 that's a 12x12 piece

http://www.metaldepot.com

find somebody with a plasma cam cutter and you don't even have to do it yourself.

wonder if BD's 3d printer could make a good block off plate out of plastic?

Out here you have to be resourceful to get things done and part of that is finding vendors for the stuff you need.

Shut up a customer of mine who was whining how long it was going to take to get the "diamond plate fabricated" for his uber trailer

Told him I'd beat his quote by half or he would get it free. He paid..and now if I have to hand him a screwdriver...he pays..still comes around the shop a bit as suddenly I am his go to guy ( for a price) for all the oddball crap he was driving 120 miles a few times a project to get done.

I'd use mild steel, easier to cut.(blades don't clog) if I didn't get my engines from SBT with a warranty...

Thread Information