Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

wear ring or impeller

Hi I have a 07 fx cruiser ho and I was wondering if I needed to change the impeller at the same time I change the wear ring.because the blades look like their in good condition thanks

+1
    I'm no expert but I wouldn't have thought so.

Are you changing the wear ring because of damage or just as preventative maintenance?

Quote Originally Posted by fordgt View Post
    I'm no expert but I wouldn't have thought so.

Are you changing the wear ring because of damage or just as preventative maintenance?
    I took out the ski yesterday and noticed that it had slower acceleration and was bouncing off of the rev limiter at full throttle and when I looked inside the pump there is a noticeable gap between the blades and the wear ring

+1
    Is the impeller rubbing the housing? Do you hear a metal to metal clinging or rubbing noise when you start the machine out of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by bscpaint View Post
    Is the impeller rubbing the housing? Do you hear a metal to metal clinging or rubbing noise when you start the machine out of the water.
    I don't notice anything like that no strange noises but this is my first fuel injected Yamaha I've owned .the only strange thing is the gap between the blades and housing and hitting the rev limiter when rinding but not sure if its normal.

+1
    What may have happened, (not sure if it applies to newer Yamaha skis, but does on the older 4 strokes) is that the wear ring is made of aluminium with a stainless steel liner. Over time the two dissimilar metals react and can create a bubble inbetween them, pushing the SS liner into the impeller, making a sort of swishing noise from the pump, and also rubbing the edges off the impeller, creating the large gap you can see.

Its hard to see unless you have the pump apart; I'll post a pic of mine tonight as an example.

Quote Originally Posted by fordgt View Post
    What may have happened, (not sure if it applies to newer Yamaha skis, but does on the older 4 strokes) is that the wear ring is made of aluminium with a stainless steel liner. Over time the two dissimilar metals react and can create a bubble inbetween them, pushing the SS liner into the impeller, making a sort of swishing noise from the pump, and also rubbing the edges off the impeller, creating the large gap you can see.

Its hard to see unless you have the pump apart; I'll post a pic of mine tonight as an example.
    Yes its the aluminum hosing with the stainless insert.So I should change the wear ring and impeller?

+1
    If the impeller has had the outer edges "shaved" off by the raised spot on the ring, then yes. Hopefully a photo will tell a thousand words I'll post one up later for you.

What's your opinion of the aftermarket pump housing with the plastic replaceable insert?

+1
    Here are the pics I promised...

The I've heard people with Sea-Doos love the plastic rings as they are cheap to swap out.

I was thinking of putting one on my ski, but then I thought for the amount of times I ski in shallow water its hardly worth it.

Under normal use I think the OEM one is fine.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140524_231038.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	157.9 KB 
ID:	330254Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140524_231014.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	330255

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information