Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exhaust overheat and then no power

Hi,I have a 2007 215 gtx ltd with a riva stage 2 kit that i recently purchased. Last year I rode it once and I got an exhaust overheat code p1544 after a few minutes of riding and it went into limp mode. As well, when i place the key on the DESS post the gauge reads sensor...any idea on that? Well, my idea was to replace the exhaust sensor and then winterize it and wait till spring. Well, spring arrived and I took it out today only to do the same thing even after a new exhaust sensor. Well it then went into limp mode for a moment then the gauge cluster got dim and it stalled. it then wouldn't restart, no beeps no power no nothing. Towed it back and I started to look at the fuses when I touched a relay next to two 30A fuses everything worked and it started. Now it stopped again, no beeps or power. Checked the battery and connections and they seemed fine.
    Is there another sensor somewhere, around the water box or something. Could it be the Jpipe is plugged for the p1544 issue. Then again why no power. Im starting to worry this seadoo won't be reliable on long trips never mind a short one. any advice would be helpful. Thanks

+1
    You may have debris in a water line. Did the box have water in it after getting it back on the trailer? Was it super hot to the touch?
    As far as no power, and touching the relay made it 'work', it's a bad connection or bad relay.

Interesting enough, when I removed the relay and placed it back it worked only once then never again. Would the relay cause no power and no beeps on placing the lanyard? If so it's easy enough to replace it but could it be a short somewhere else causing it to blow?
    As a second question why does the gauge say sensor when I've already replaced the sensor?
    When you ask about the box do u mean the exhaust cause it did not seem super hot to touch.

+1
    You probably have a hose kinked somewhere, if the water to the intercooler and the exhaust is restricted you will get all of these symptoms. Do you have a strainer? Because if your strainer is stopped up that is your problem, its possible that the cooling system has debris, but it's not the most likely cause of the p1544 in my opinion... If it's a salt water ski and you do not take the proper after ride precautions you could have built up residue in the j pipe, but i doubt it.

The "sensor" that you gauge keeps flashing about is the depth finder sensor, i have the same ski and it says that all of the time on the trailer because the depth finder can't get a reading out of the water. Don't worry about the gauge saying "sensor" it means nothing except the ski is out of the water.

The power problem could be any manner of electrical demons, start by replacing that relay and the fuses. If any of that looks corroded on the terminals where they go in then you need to clean, repair, and then take preventative measures to keep it from happening again. Is the ski used in salt water constantly?

I bought the seadoo used so dont know if it was used in salt but i don''t think so. I figure I have a clog somewhere and I am somewhat mechanically inclined its just that I dont know where the strainer would be or which hoses to take off and blow out. For the electrical problem I might just change the relay and see it if fires up, the question is would a short cause that to blow/malfunction: in other words, am I better off investigating for a cause of the relay malfunctioning, cause the last thing i need is to have it happen again. Thanks again

+1
    Well, the Riva Stage 2 kit comes with an external intercooler... so if it was done correctly there is a water strainer. It will look like this: http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=1430. You should take some good pictures of the engine compartment and post on here, we will be able to verify that it is stage 2 and point out where the strainer is... With any luck the ski is what the seller said it is, but with modified skis you never know till you know what each piece is and what it does. Simply blowing a hose out probably won't do much, there is a screen in the jet pump that prevents large debris that would stop up the system completely from entering. Take the relay to the local parts house and buy one, usually if something is shorted a fuse will fail or wires will smoke, relays fail from use or from abuse such as excessive vibration. I would try a new relay first and go from there.

I won't be able to send any awesome pics but I'll repost later in the week. I'm thinking could the exhaust overheat p1544 code I'm getting be related to an electrical problem and not a plugged hose at all? Given the fact the sensor is new could it be just be an electrical issue.(that is before i start ripping out hoses, IC etc.,)

Any thoughts on my last post? Is it possible the exhaust code could be related to the bad relay?

+1
    It's possible, replace the relay and get it running, then stay real close to the trailer to see if it overheats again...

Quote Originally Posted by wkuadam07 View Post
    It's possible, replace the relay and get it running, then stay real close to the trailer to see if it overheats again...
    Well I replaced the relay and everything started just fine. Let it idle no problem. Took it out and was gentle with it no problem. Started giving it a bit and at 103 kph exhaust p1544 code. When I brought it to a halt it was off in a minute. Slowlybrought to speed and at 40mph kkickedIin again. Did this a few times same result. Took off the seat and exhaust was pretty hot. So must be a water cooling issue. I had 3 clamps on the jpipe tried loosening those and tried that to no avail. I'll post some pics to see if that helps. Could a plugged hose do those cause i don't see any kinks anywhere. I also don't see a strainer either.or could the intercooler be plugged up? Don't know where to start or if I should start removing hoses and which ones.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information