+1

Unhappy 2003 sportster 4TEC 155 low rpm's no warnings

I need someone's expertise here.. my mechanic is no able to diagnose the problem - feel free to say "get a new mechanic", but I know enough to say that a lot of times it's you folks that help the most. The boat was running perfectly fine until out of the blue, the rpm's won't go above 4000 or so. There are no warning lights to indicate the possibility of a faulty sensor. Your help would be greatly appreciated and you will be blessed with good Karma

First thing i would do is change plugs. Also check the jet pump to ensure nothing is stuck in it and that it spins freely.

+1
    Did he hook a computer to it to see if there was in codes?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by joewharton2 View Post
    Did he hook a computer to it to see if there was in codes?
    Sorry for the delayed response (was out of town). Yes, it was diagnosed and returned no codes. A local dealer has had it now for the last few days and also came up empty handed. They have no answers for me other than "let's replace this, and let's replace that and go from there" - typical dealer mechanics, throw new parts at it until the problem goes away. I can't afford that.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 8 is enough View Post
    First thing i would do is change plugs. Also check the jet pump to ensure nothing is stuck in it and that it spins freely.
    Thanks for the reply, and yes this was also checked off the list as a possible culprit.

+1
    The best lead I have so far is a local mechanic who ran into a similar issue and the correction was to replace the wiring harness and MAF sensor, so either one or both of those items was the cause (in his case). I'm leaning towards the wiring harness.. maybe some corrosion in one of the connections where it makes contact but not good enough? the wiring harness is a costly repair though so I'd like to tackle that last unless I know for certain it is the problem.

+1
    Ok, so just wanted to provide some closure to this problem and in doing so, maybe help someone else that could have the same issue....

So yesterday a trusted friend recommended a mechanic that would likely be able to help. He showed up and started asking questions. After about 15 mins worth of interrogation we launched the boat in the water (I live on a lake) and he brought a spray can of starter fluid along. He left the hatch open and had me full throttle the boat; which of course would not plane and barely broke 3600 rpms. He then proceeded to spray the intake and the boat shot up and over the water like a banshee on roids!...

At this point he didn't have to say anything else, I knew right then it was a fuel delivery issue. He went on to tell me that a new MAP sensor would resolve the issue and that it was something I could do myself as he would have to charge me for purchasing the part, installation etc.. He showed me the location and the steps involved and went on his merry way. Long story short, sometimes the old school guys that troubleshoot well are way better than any new school computer minded techs who just look up shit but don't stop to think about the root cause. Hell, the dealer couldn't resolve the issue!

8. +1 by:

Thread Information