Stupid is as stupid does....

Rebuilt my carbs in my 97 gp1200 for the first time finally (I know, lol). The ski only has 80 hours on it so it's not too bad. Anyways, I went ahead and did the drilled return mod, 1.5 n/s combo and 100 pilots. Added primer and f/a's, eliminated chokes and could not get it tuned to save my life. It would run lean no matter what the adjustments. Pulled carbs 3 times and inspected to check my work. In a fit of disgust, I shut it off, put the flame arrestors on And fired it up to blow the water out. Ran like a top. Hard lesson learned lol. But on the bright side, I'm an expert at pulling the carbs now.

+1

?

Quote Originally Posted by Dad2kmr View Post
    Rebuilt my carbs in my 97 gp1200 for the first time finally (I know, lol). The ski only has 80 hours on it so it's not too bad. Anyways, I went ahead and did the drilled return mod, 1.5 n/s combo and 100 pilots. Added primer and f/a's, eliminated chokes and could not get it tuned to save my life. It would run lean no matter what the adjustments. Pulled carbs 3 times and inspected to check my work. In a fit of disgust, I shut it off, put the flame arrestors on And fired it up to blow the water out. Ran like a top. Hard lesson learned lol. But on the bright side, I'm an expert at pulling the carbs now.
    Hey there..

Good effort on rebuilding the carbs..
    - Have to say something doesn't seem right here.??

What F/A's have you refitted.? (stock.? singles.? plenum style.?)

I don't see any mention of a return line restrictor jet being fitted.
    - IF a jet hasn't been installed then your fuel pressure will be virtually zero..!!
    - NOW that would be "stupid is - AS stupid does" to quote you.

Pulling carbs = Not much fun.!!

I added the restrictor with a 105 jet in it. After some reading, it seems that the flame arrestors add the needed restriction to even out the air/fuel ratio? I'm running KandN arrestors. I was running it on the hose and it was lean all the way through from idle to wide open. Would barely run at all. Would run away for a couple of seconds after releasing the throttle. All this was with the flame arrestors off the carbs. I was checking for dribbles and good oil flow since I'm still running the pump. Once I put the flame arrestors on, it ran perfect. I ran it for about 5 minutes after that, cracking it from idle to wot and it was crisp with no hesitations or bogs. Does that sound correct? Or do I have an issue still that needs to be addressed? I'm honestly tired of going through these carbs. I wanna ride lol.

+1
    What is your adjustment on the highs and lows.That will make all the difference.

1 1/4 on the lows, 1 1/2 on the highs. I find it strange that running with the carbs open would cause that much of difference in how it runs versus with the F/A's installed. Learn something new every day I guess.

So I ran the ski on the hose today just to test it one last time before I take it to the ramp this weekend and tune it in the water. Fired right up without touching the throttle. I ran it for a few minutes alternating from idle to half, then idle to wot, then half to wot. Ran great. May be a little rich but that's ok for me being on the trailer. I pulled the flame arrestors off to see what would happen and there was no change. So I'm stumped. Only thing I can figure is there's only about 3 gallons of gas in it cuz I pumped and cleaned the tank so maybe the tank just needed to pressurize and it took a little longer being there isn't much fuel. Either way, I'm stoked at this point cuz I really wasn't looking forward to pulling the carbs again. Thanks for the replies and all the great info I've found on this forum. I wouldn't have been able to tackle this project myself without all of you and your knowledge.

+1
    Those specs are what I run.Cutlass helped me with the correct jetting.Ski runs awesome.One more question did you use genuine mikuni rebuild kits or aftermarket.Everyone I talk to always says to make sure you rebuild with original for the carbs.

Thread Information