No Crank? - SLT 750 - 95

I am getting not even getting a sound from the engine nor electrical box when hitting the Start button. However, when I have a volt meter on the battery, before hitting the start button it is at 11 volts. When I hit the start button, it drops to 9-10 volts - that's plenty to at least turn the engine over.

This ski was completely rebuilt by myself last summer. I ended the project - successfully - about the time summer was over, and all I had needed was a new battery. So today, I purchased that battery. After turning the ski over a bit - it was turning over at this point - and it not firing right up, I primed the lines. Afterwards I hit the start button and nothing happened. That's when I checked the volts.

So now my question is, what do I test/replace? I'm thinking the solenoid or the stator.. Those are literally the only 2 things on this ski I have not replaced or rebuilt. I want one good summer out of this ski, please help me out. I've invested so much, a stator or solenoid is not going to kill me at this point. Tell me the procedures I need to take, thanks.

Banned User
    +1
    11 volts at rest is a dead battery. Very dead....

Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    11 volts at rest is a dead battery. Very dead....
    I might be wrong on voltage readings, I just took them and it is quite dark. I'll check this in the morning. I'm almost positive it is not a dead battery, though. Considering it was cranking not even 10 minutes before, and the battery is literally brand new.

+1
    Even with a drained battery, the solenoid should click......Not likely the stator.... Unless the ground burnt up. Any incidental contact with the + battery terminal and ebox when replacing the battery? Check for 12v+ at the solenoid when pushing the start button. Measure from the yellow/red and black wires connecting to the solenoid. If you get 12v, the ground from the stator SHOULD be intact.

Check all your grounds. Get the solenoid clicking first, then move onto the starter.....

+1
    Put your hand on the starter after your attempts. If you hand about gets burnt it may be starter time. Check your connections to the starter as well.^ yes the solenoid should click^

After evaluating the voltage the next morning, the battery was drained. I took it back, and tried another battery, that was what the store told me to try. I ended up getting the ski to actually start once, then after the battery began to die again. Not wanting to entirely drain the battery, I left the ski alone for the night. I came back the next morning to a drained battery. This ski was completely rebuilt last summer. The mfd is not even plugged in.. What might be the cause?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    After evaluating the voltage the next morning, the battery was drained. I took it back, and tried another battery, that was what the store told me to try. I ended up getting the ski to actually start once, then after the battery began to die again. Not wanting to entirely drain the battery, I left the ski alone for the night. I came back the next morning to a drained battery. This ski was completely rebuilt last summer. The mfd is not even plugged in.. What might be the cause?
    The battery is draining while it is just sitting?

Sounds like the LR voltage regulator module has gone bad.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    The battery is draining while it is just sitting?

Sounds like the LR voltage regulator module has gone bad.
    What could have caused this?
    And what is the usual price of a replacement part?

Thread Information