Question about powervalve cylinders

My project 2000 xl1200 has a scored #3cylinder can anyone tell me how thick the nikasil is,, the scores are about maybe 30 thousands deep ,I know I should send it out but don't have the money for millennium so can I hone or have it bored thanks

+1
    nikasil is about as thick as your pinky nail

boring wont help because you will remove all the plating and just be left with bare aluminum, and if you hone too much you can be in the same boat

Quote Originally Posted by Casey2552 View Post
    My project 2000 xl1200 has a scored #3cylinder can anyone tell me how thick the nikasil is,, the scores are about maybe 30 thousands deep ,I know I should send it out but don't have the money for millennium so can I hone or have it bored thanks
    Of course, WFO is right. Some additional info: Honing Nicasil requires a special diamond type hone. Chances are if you ran a normal ball or block hone through it, it would do very little or just scratch it up a bit. If your goal is to spend as little as possible, try it and let us know how it goes. .030 is a mighty deep scratch so you are probably hosed anyway. You could put an already sleeved one in as a replacement but I wouldn't recommend it and it is very close in cost to the replating. Fun ain't cheap and cheap ain't fun...Sorry.

I know that's right lol well thanks ,I already baught a new cylinder in excellent shape , but I am now seeing I don't have an air element inside the box did someone remove this for a reason and should I put one back in the air box off the carbs ,I looked online and that's a $40 part ,for $40 should I go a different route if you can help id be thanks full

+1
    no element should be in that box... just a flat screen that bolts to the carb side

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey2552 View Post
    I know that's right lol well thanks ,I already baught a new cylinder in excellent shape , but I am now seeing I don't have an air element inside the box did someone remove this for a reason and should I put one back in the air box off the carbs ,I looked online and that's a $40 part ,for $40 should I go a different route if you can help id be thanks full

And if you need that screen let me know i have a few ill send one over to you.

So Did you get it fixed?

Why is it the 3rd cylinder that seems to be the one that goes in these models?

+1
    lean engines from the factory and the 3rd cylinder gets coolant last.

Thread Information