Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ultra 150 rebuilt Now gas is in cylinders

I sucked up some trash and blew up the 3rd cylinder and piston. I rebuilt that 1 cylinder, and now gas is filling up in all of the cylinders. I pumped all the gas out of the cylinders, and it cranked and i rode it. It ran like 70% of the power, but when I let off the gas and went back on the throttle it wouldn't accelerate much over 10 mph. I checked the cylinders and all of them were full with gas again. The ski has like 160 hours on it. Does anyone know what may be wrong with it?

+1
    I'm almost clueless. Chokes are open, I presume. Have you check the slides in the carbs to make sure they're not sticky?

The carbs look flawless, and the slides are not stuck open. I forgot to mention that my Advent cdi went dead, and I put the stock cdi in it before all of this. I put the Advent in my '99 Ultra to see if it was completely shot and it was. I am thinking ironically that the stock cdi is messed up too. I am thinking that it is getting enough spark to keep it barely running, but not enough to burn all the gas up coming from the carbs. I have the stinger mod, and after running the ski for a few minutes it will blow off the exhaust hose connecting the pipe to the waterbox. It has blown the hose off like 5 times. I guess a good question would be is there anything that could be blowing up these computers?

+1
    I have the stinger mod, too. The hose that Skiworx supplies doesn't fit exactly right. I bought a different hose that fits better, I cut grooves in the pipe to make it hold better, I bought better clamps that I can tighten better, and I put a block of closed cell foam under the waterbox to keep it from moving.

If the 3rd cylinder was replaced by a #1 or #2 cylinder would that mess it up and make it run shitty? The reason I am asking is b/c the first two cylinders ran perfectly before the rebuild. So it seems to be something went wrong with the rebuild b/c its not the carbs or cdi.

+1
    I'm guessing that debris plugged up the elbow on the cylinder head and overheated it? Sounds like the head gasket may not be sealing. Did you check the head and cylinder for flatness?

Run a compression test. Unless it had very little time on it, I would have overhauled all three cylinders.

Did you torque the nuts to spec?

I had just overhauled all 3 cylinders around 10-15 hours before this happened. You were right the water was blocked and blew third cylinder to hell. I am thinking the head is probably peppered up a bit. I have an extra one that looks perfect. Everything was torqued I think. If the gaskets aren't sealing would that make it pop and spit above $6000 or so rpms? It is real hard to get it to crank, and while the 3rd cylinder was baked it would crank over in a second every time. Any other suggestions?

+1
    I'm a bit confused. When you overheat a cylinder, it can warp the head and cylinder so they never seal right.

Could be that you got metal in the crankshaft bearings.

The cylinder was completely shot. I used a good cylinder that I had laying around. I hope I haven't messed up the crank.

+1
    When you replaced the cylinder, did you rotate the crank and check the bearings? Did you inspect/clean/flush any debris out of the crankcase before putting it back together?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information