1999 Polaris slth pump questions

Hi Guys I have a 1999 Polaris slth . Last time I was riding it the engine stopped suddenly. I think I sucked up a rock or shell into the pump. It sounded terrible and when I got it home I looked in the pump housing and it looks like a pretty good gap between the impeller and the wear ring, if I recall it should be like 10 thousands or so. just looking at it I see it way way more. Anyway I started to take it apart and the first thing I did was try to take the 4 long bolts out holding the nozzle to the pump housing. They will not budge. I ride this in salt water but always flush it well. Anyways I know they are going to snap. I have soaked them for days with just about every product. If I recall they are stainless bolts going into aluminum casting. If I could get a torch in there I could heat it, but it looks like its impossible to get a torch in there. The only thing I can think of is trying to cut the bolts off near the end toward the head of the bolts, then try to slide everything off then I would have room to get some heat right on the casting. I could try to put a vice grip on the rest of the bolt. What have you guys done?

Banned User
    +1
    Remove the whole pump from the hull. There are 4 nuts inside the hull that hold it in place. It will be some work to remove since its sealed in place with silicone. I would remove the ride plate too before trying to do this. If you get the whole pump off the hull then it will be easier to work on.

Thanks Bryan, I will look in the book, never thought of that idea. I bet that way is a bitch also.

Bryan what bolts are you talking about removing from the inside? Thanks Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pump.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	330855  

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikel1 View Post
    Nut/stud 18 in that diagram. There are four (one in each 'corner') but only one nut is shown in that diagram.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    avoid breaking the long bolts at all costs..pricey bits.

where there s a will there is a way..you can heat the pump bolt heads for a bit and the bolt will eventually get hot enough to release.

a small butane torch is what you need..propane torches are just too big..a mapp torch with remote bottle will also work nicely, but depending on your situation, pulling the entire pump is not an idea to be discounted by any mean.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Nut/stud 18 in that diagram. There are four (one in each 'corner') but only one nut is shown in that diagram.

Thanks guys, I take it I can get to these 4 nuts from the inside? Will I have to remove anything else? Also will the whole unit then come out as one piece? Where would you guys look for replacement parts such as an impeller and ware ring?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

Thanks guys, I take it I can get to these 4 nuts from the inside? Will I have to remove anything else?

Also will the whole unit then come out as one piece?

Where would you guys look for replacement parts such as an impeller and ware ring?
    Only other thing to disconnect inside the hull is the water hoses. There will be a large 3/4" hose from the water feed tube.

And one or two smaller hoses for the bilge siphons.

I presume you have already removed the driveshaft.

No I have not even started on it yet, as the ski is 1400 miles away at my vacation home. But when I do start I would like to have the parts and have somewhat of an idea where to start. Does anyone know if a 2001 polaris virage 700 pump asselembly will fit on my 99 SLTH? I found a used one here http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-Vira...item35bfbd540b
    Last edited by mikel1; 06-01-2014 at 10:49 AM.

Thread Information